Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That KillJoy Tseng's first season racing rifter later sold for 75 million ISK?

Author Topic: [Recruiting] The Majesty Theological Institute  (Read 2424 times)

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
[Recruiting] The Majesty Theological Institute
« on: 10 Oct 2011, 08:25 »

I do not yet have a fancy graphic to show off, but here we go!

What are we?

The Majesty Theological Institute is a liberal Amarr theological school and research institute focusing on new and progressive methods of reclaiming.

Progressive Methods of Reclaiming?
The Majesty Theological Institute holds that Reclaiming will not be able to happen at sword point.  The only way to reclaim the universe for God is to make people want to become a part of God's Glory.  The Majesty Theological Institute therefore aims its work towards improving creation, focusing first and formost on the Empire, but extending open arms to the rest of the cluster as well.

Who are we looking for?
We are looking for Liberal Amarr RPers who would like to play spots of light in a dark universe.  All sorts of profession choices are welcome, from mission runners, to miners, to explorers.  PvP may be an option in the future, though that is not like to be a focus at the moment.

So why should I join?
Simply, the institute provides an RP venue, and a reason for your Amarrian character to go out and do things with all sorts of different people.  The institute believes in a concept I call 'Social Capital', which is that if you go out, and make friends, allies, contacts these will all bring you steps closer towards the long term goal of the institute.

Additionally, if you ever wanted to play an Amarrian with an interest in theological thinking, this is obviously going to provide a venue for that.  Debates, discussions, writing papers to be presented to the greater capsuleer community...

So, if this sounds like the sort of thing you want to be a part of, please contact me and let me know!
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2011, 18:08 by Tiberious Thessalonia »
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: The Majesty Theological Institute
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2011, 08:35 »

\o/

I approve. This looks sweet.

Anyone want to place bets on how fast my app will get rejected?

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2011, 08:49 »

6 seconds  :D

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2011, 11:44 »

\o/

I approve. This looks sweet.

Anyone want to place bets on how fast my app will get rejected?

Agreed, looks sweet.

My bet would be on Tib trolling you by leaving it in limbo, personally. :3
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2011, 12:03 »

I dunno.  She comes with good references.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2011, 12:53 »

I dunno.  She comes with good references.

Wat? What is this slander?

Edit: I should include a disclaimer that literally every single corp I have been a part of has died.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2011, 13:11 by Victoria Stecker »

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2011, 13:20 »

Valar Moghullis.

On another note!

The Oath

I am the shield that protects the innocent from the assaults of the unrighteous.

I am the lantern that shines light upon corruption, revealing it for all to see.

I am the book which teaches wisdom and knowledge.

I am the guide who patiently shows the way.

Welcome to the Majesty Theological Institute

Welcome to the Majesty Theological Institute, the formost institution of progressive Theology in the Amarr Empire.

We are open to new pilots and old, who wish to spend their time as Capsuleers improving creation in accordance with Scripture. You will spend your time engaging in theological debate, scholarship, and perhaps most importantly in practical efforts to bring the rest of the cluster into the fold.

Upon entering the corporation, you earned the title of Neophyte. Upon demonstrating an acceptable knowledge of scripture and the ability to think logically about it, you will be graduated to a full member, and set about your mission. All members will show that hard work is not a value lost upon gaining capsuleer implants.

Full members who show proper aptitude will be offered teaching and leadership positions.

Liberal Theology

Majesty is unabashadly liberal in our theology. Scripture forms the core of our belief system, and provides us with our goal. It is also obvious that the old ways of reclaiming at swordpoint no longer will work. Our goal, therefore, is to reclaim the cluster with out burning it down in the process. Foremost to this line of thinking is that slavery will no longer function as an adequate vehicle to spread the faith. Majesty operates instead on a Teacher/Apprentice system, and it is the job of all full members to try to recruit more apprentices.

Not everyone will be suitable. Those who are, will exemplify themselves.

Varlerian

• Your friendly neighborhood entrepreneur
  • Clonejack
« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2011, 23:21 »

I demandz moar liberal Amarrians \o/

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
Re: [Recruiting] The Majesty Theological Institute
« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2011, 18:08 »

I just added that I am now officially recruiting.  Send me your Theologians!

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2011, 13:47 »

Adding a couple of more bits of theology that have been developed.  I hope its ok that I am making up scriptural texts.

On the inadequacy of language
Last night I had a fascinating discussion with a Caldari pilot who wished to understand the purpose of this venture. After working through the inevitable questions about profit and whether or not I was altruistic in my aims, we came to the topic of God and my belief therein.

Of course, here, the topic broke down. I did not have the words to properly explain to this pilot why I had faith, and why to my mind it was entirely logical to have faith. Of course she would believe me to be ruled by emotion and illogical thinking! I am sure Mr. Ixiris would say the same thing.

Those in the cluster who do not have faith have trouble understanding us and what exactly it means when an Amarrian pilot says that we 'believe in God'; Intellectually, they understand that we believe in some sort of supreme being, many of them may have even read portions of the scripture and so, intellectually, they may have an idea of what we believe God to be like.

This is still not understanding, and this is our challenge as proponents and spreaders of the faith.

There is something else to the belief in God, something that goes beyond lowly intellectual understanding. Trying to explain your faith using the inadequate terms afforded to us by language and translators is trying to explain your faith through grunts, whistles and hand gestures when you need poetry to properly convey the concept.

In the past, this issue was solved with slavery. Slavery as a method to reclaiming is no longer possible, and I shall go into why this is (for my more conservative Amarrian brothers and sisters) and what the benefits it was meant to convey other than cheap labour (for my non-Amarrian readers) at another time.

It is our duty, in the Majesty Theological Institute, to find a new way of expressing the necessary poetry.

Students who wish to study further on this should look closely to the Book of Speaker Lamia, which is one of several scriptural texts with a large portion of its teachings presented in mathematical formula.

Language, as a barrier, must be overcome when dealing with people who do not yet share your faith. Patience is the primary virtue that should be adopted here.

On Hardship
Those who have read and understood Scripture will know of the importance the Amarr place on Hardship. Those who have read scripture but not understood it will only know of the extant place for suffering.

Suffering makes us stronger. As a woman who taught me much was fond of saying, 'Endure; in enduring, grow strong'. The True Amarr suffered when we wandered the deserts of Athra for millenia. Suffering serves as the scourge, violently ripping away weakness and sin.

However, it is not all there is. If all there was was suffering, and if only suffering were part of God's plan for us, humanity would have never developed as a species to the point where we are the only life-form that has become capable of surviving the death of our star and planet, whatever those may be. We would not be farming, let alone plying our trade amongst the stars.

No, it is more fair to say that God wants us to suffer hardship, not suffering. Hardship implies a challenge, a test. Something we can overcome. Hardship is exercise. Suffering is just the application of the principle of 'That which does not kill us only makes us stronger'.

This is why MAJTH, the other day, shipped some Wheat into the Republic through Matari channels, when we learned that certain areas of the republic are suffering through a famine. We have provided those areas with some temporary relief of their suffering, so that they can work towards solving the ultimate causes of their hunter themselves.

It is my belief that men with empty bellies will not spend time contemplating God, unless that hunger is the result of a direct and concious choice.

Related, MAJTH is also sponsering the 'Majesty Theological Institute endowment for theoretical and practical sciences'. 5 million ISK has been converted to baseliner currency and set aside as a scholarship for Amarrian doctoral students. Each year, for five years, fifty promising up-and-coming scientists will be awarded the equivalent of 20,000 ISK to fund their work in theoretical and practical science development in the fields of physics, chemistry, and biology.

If these numbers sound low to you, then you should begin to understand the massive wealth held by capsuleers. 5 million ISK, an hours work for even a modest capsuleer, can fund scientific advancement at an incredible rate.

And there are those who would have you believe that all you can do is blow things up

--------------

Still no interest in the recruitment front.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm a bit afraid to post in the recruitment forum on the main forums because I have this nightmare scenario of getting wardecced by everyone, plus I doubt I would find many RPers there.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2011, 13:49 by Tiberious Thessalonia »

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2011, 14:07 »

Adding a couple of more bits of theology that have been developed.  I hope its ok that I am making up scriptural texts.

Usually not the best idea, depending on what the made-up texts are based on. The Amarrian religion/faith isn't similar to anything we have on earth and simply grabbing RL theology and trying to use it for Amarrian is not gonna work. Despite popular belief to the contrary, the it's not just the Catholic Church in spaaaaaaaaace.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2011, 14:19 »

Well, yes, I am more than aware of that.  I am making up the texts because there is precious little written, other than the bits and pieces we have, although we know that what the Amarr consider to be scriptural is so large that it could not be fit on an industrial ship even when digitized.  There are books written by numerous authors in numerous styles, including some that are just math (and not just in the 'I have never read the book of nothing' or whatever it is called, style.)

So I am making up a few books here and there to back up things I know are in PF.