Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Placid Reborn is a corporation dedicated to the self-determination and prosperity of the Intaki home system and its immediate surroundings? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Supporting Your Faction (Mechanically)  (Read 2997 times)

Kybernetes Moros

Supporting Your Faction (Mechanically)
« on: 10 Nov 2012, 12:57 »

Over the past week or so, I was looking for RP corps who stood out as antagonists to my then-active characters (I since deleted the client). Both are of the pro-State, pro-Heth persuasion, and my search didn't get very far -- very likely more as a result of flaws within the characters that I'd have to rectify if I reinstalled, more than anything else.

What I found was that there was a lot of saying people support one group or another, but looking into it seemed to reveal them to not be all so different to other "independent" (i.e. non-RPer) corps based in similar areas. Of course, this is an external perspective; it's very subject to me looking in the wrong places.

It made me wonder, though: how does your character support his / her faction in terms of game mechanics? Commenting about what your corp does in terms of fluff on the IGS, in the Summit, etc. is one thing, but it can sometimes be a bit divorced from consequence and the game itself. Do you seek out people who profess loyalty to opposing factions, run missions for your own faction, try and develop it economically, destroy NPCs aligned with opposed factions, or something else?

Desiderya

Re: Supporting Your Faction (Mechanically)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2012, 13:27 »

In the case of WHG it's fairly simple. Participating in FW basically covers a lot of the examples you've named. Not just roaming but living in lowsec basically intensifies these points.
So, we've got a war on (both players and NPCs, although there aren't really much RPing GalMil players), have Intaki close by and compete with local pirates (both players and npcs).

Now we only need to develop our home a bit more. *glances at Dex*

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2012, 15:37 »

Now we only need to develop our home a bit more. *glances at Dex*
:P

LDIS spent something like two years actively mining moons, running reactions, producing T2 components, T2 modules, and selling them in Black Rise.  LDIS learned how to develop space most people thought was crap.

The problem is that as you grow, especially economically, you want to keep that as quiet as possible.  The last thing I wanted to do while we operated in Urpiken was say on IGS -
LDIS is operating several moon mining starbases, producing advanced moon materials.  LDIS uses these advanced moon materials to support production of T2 components and T2 modules, which are sold in  Ichoriya to support the defense of Black Rise.
Or put another way -
GalMilitia, Goons, local pirates, whoever we have some POSs you can probably come kick and cause us some grief.  Most of the STPRO doesn't really care if we get crumb stomped, won't help us, and some of them may even want to shoot at it. Most of the STPRO import stuff from Jita where your alts sell stuff anyway.

I stopped posting public quarterly reports because it showed what we had to lose.  If a corp actually knows how much ISK it has vulnerable, there is a sudden need for InfoSec that means we can't just give out free intel.   On the flip-side, that same information might attract recruits/employees/friends.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2012, 16:37 »

Hello, my name is Aldrith, and I am a... heretic burner...

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2012, 16:59 »

Was in FW for a while, but then the Amarr-Minmatar front became nonviable ICly even as a "holding the line" kind of thing.

Right now, Esna is willing to put life, ISK, and ships on the line for individual operations he feels better the Empire (either through direct defense or even public relations); for instance, Silas' fight club thingy.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2012, 01:21 »

I support my pirate and 'ebil' RP ways by pirating other capsuleers in game. Wanton killing of any ships passing through whenever possible or otherwise, and scheming. Always scheming. .  Yarr! 

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2012, 01:25 »

Addition: Silas is awesome, in terms of getting things done RP/PVP wise and always has my support.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2012, 01:30 »

Addition: Silas is awesome, in terms of getting things done RP/PVP wise and always has my support.

I keeeeel you.

Sechmarin? Sounds like you've been talking to Tabby.  :P

Leopold Caine

• Egger
« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2012, 01:47 »

I keeeeel you.

Sechmarin? Sounds like you've been talking to Tabby.  :P

Nah, he lives in Antem thesedays. Albeit, we're organizing a BO gang with him tonight 2300 evetime, you up?

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2012, 04:33 »

The issue seems to be that to set up conflict, the expectation is to send a mail to construct some scenario via mail, or to be in the right place at the right time; compare Leopold's comments on Sechmaren. My interest in the game took a nosedive recently (owing to the issue sketched in the OP), but there's no degree of activity that would have had my characters know that some Angel Cartel bunch had bothered some holder in some system in Kador. Disjunct interests are disjunct.

I suppose more than anything it's a function of the small size of the RP community; chance encounters approach vanishingly unlikely, sometimes, and I've never been massively fond of "send OOC mail, make artificial scenario" as a solution. It's somewhat heartening to see that it isn't as bad as it seemed, at least; what concerns me is how to try and set up these conflicts -- but I posted about that a while ago.

With the issues of small numbers often living long distances apart, I'm not quite sure how to "fix" it, and indeed it's probably best for me to concede that it can't, then go adopt a different mindset towards the game to the one I have now. Still, break is needed anyway, if only to distance myself from the more petty bullshit RPers can come up with. :V Laters.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2012, 04:49 »

Kyber following my footsteps into 'winning eve' I see ;)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Leopold Caine

• Egger
« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2012, 06:13 »

The issue seems to be that to set up conflict, the expectation is to send a mail to construct some scenario via mail, or to be in the right place at the right time; compare Leopold's comments on Sechmaren. My interest in the game took a nosedive recently (owing to the issue sketched in the OP), but there's no degree of activity that would have had my characters know that some Angel Cartel bunch had bothered some holder in some system in Kador. Disjunct interests are disjunct.

Not really. I personally hate making IGS posts, and any public exclamations such as 'WE WILL BE TAKING THIS THING NOW SO YOU CAN MAKE A POLITICAL IC REBUTTAL' make me take a second to relax and take a big breath. In theory, I think the only IGS post I started was the one when Boma suicided his carrier into one of my planets. Anyway.
In game IC machinations work out without making public exclamations of them, and they work out rather well; even better than the ones being publicly exclamated. As long as you give people hints and clues so they can participate, it's all fine. If you don't want to use your brain a bit and get involved in the RP, you might as well keep sitting in the Summit.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2012, 13:39 »

PIE Inc. - supporting our faction (mechanically) since 2003  ;)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 11 Nov 2012, 17:39 »

I support my pirate and 'ebil' RP ways by pirating other capsuleers in game. Wanton killing of any ships passing through whenever possible or otherwise, and scheming. Always scheming. .  Yarr!

Incidentally, this is why people turn pirate so much. It is easier to get noticed *doing* something that not doing something (like not pirating to support your faction).

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2012, 21:25 »

Incidentally, this is why people turn pirate so much. It is easier to get noticed *doing* something that not doing something (like not pirating to support your faction).

That's a very good point, it is often much harder to do the opposite, you have to 'seek out' opponants of your group and pew or RP with them, etc.   Difficult for Law and Order types to be strict about those things.

Having run a small NRDS loyalist corp for many years like many of you have, its much much harder to balance gameplay and webs of being lawful and only shooting certain people etc.

Pages: [1] 2