Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That being a cruel slaver is actually a fitting description for Angel Cartel members as well?

Author Topic: Mark726's EVE Lore Survival Guide  (Read 1785 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Mark726's EVE Lore Survival Guide
« on: 10 Oct 2013, 15:16 »

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Mark726's EVE Lore Survival Guide
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2013, 18:41 »

It's... hit and miss. Looking at the Amarr section (because it's something I feel I can reliably comment on), he gets the history - slow, but unswerving progression - and social archetecture down pat... but seems to take the Amarr faith to mean that ultimately only True Amarr are actually saved, regardless of faithfulness. Later in his RP tips section he goes on to suggest that there are two categories of Amarr character: The Religious Reclaimer and the Faithless Self-Promoter.

Looking at the Matari section it's the opposite: He's got a lot of the RP archetypes and player-surrounded politics well described, but in history he skips straight from the original Rebellion to the Elder War - which seems to be a bit of a jump, seeing as it passes over things like the Defiants, Khumaak crisis, and peace initiatives (along with the controversy surrounding them) under the leadership of Karin Midular.

EDIT: TL;DR - it's a good simplistic document for the very, very basics of EVE lore. However, if one had only read this document alone and then dropped in OOC, they would likely find out that a lot of things aren't necessarily as presented.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2013, 20:22 »

He started with a pretty bare-bones version and has been updating it as CCP updates the lore portal on the wiki.

You should mail him ingame if you have concerns about accuracy or such. :)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2013, 23:26 »

but seems to take the Amarr faith to mean that ultimately only True Amarr are actually saved, regardless of faithfulness.

This is a reasonable belief, and one held by a few RPers I know of. That being said, ideally a guide should include mention of most common variations, leaving the choice up to the player.

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2013, 21:13 »

Props to him for attempting it though, I know I have had a massive headache just trying to build a single source for the Matari.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2013, 05:30 »

but seems to take the Amarr faith to mean that ultimately only True Amarr are actually saved, regardless of faithfulness.

This is a reasonable belief, and one held by a few RPers I know of. That being said, ideally a guide should include mention of most common variations, leaving the choice up to the player.

It's a reasonable belief that some Amarr hold this view - it's not so reasonable to hold the view that is generally how the Amarr see it.

Other than that: I agree with Esna.