Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Re-Awakened Technologies Inc is a Minmatar Republic loyalist corporation? Read more here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What's in a Game?  (Read 5964 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: What's in a Game?
« Reply #30 on: 15 Oct 2014, 03:43 »

On things like FF7 and how our perception has changed, I totally agree, though would you also see it that way if it was your first time playing it but right now ? Probably not. There would be the novelty factor. Don't forget that replaying something again and again makes that go away and the magic vanishes a little too. When the game is awesome it gets replaced by good old nostalgia.

But if you played it right now for the first time... You would see it differently. And differently from the first time you played it in the past too !

Not sure if i'm really clear in what i'm trying to say...

But this makes me wonder - have they not heard of point-and-click adventure games? Discworld, return to zork, day of the tentacle, monkey island, broken sword...etc? Because I think there's a nod to that bygone era there.  Maybe they missed that era entirely and that's simply their first exposure to a game like that - which is entirely missing whole elements they have come to associate with (modern) games.  Therefore barely a game due to the comparative lack.

That's very true. Old adventure games had for most of them no failure state at all. You just had to unlock things to go forward.

Hell, are we trying to say that Myst was not a game ? THE Game that made pc games back when everyone thought they were dead for good (a lot like crowdfunding and online platforms did it in 2008 too btw) ?

I think randomly generated stuff was more of a feature in old games - perhaps because it was just too hard to design everything from scratch in them days (?).

I think it was mostly technical issues, like memory issues (hard and graphics). You couldn't put much in terms of assets in your game so it was better to go through procedural generation to still make it big, at the expense of the uniqueness of every bit of levelbuild.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #31 on: 15 Oct 2014, 04:21 »

If you can't solve a puzzle, you've failed. Implied failure state. I've never played an adventure game without failure states and I've played damn near all of them.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 15 Oct 2014, 05:18 »

I would tend to agree for games like Myst.

However I can't agree for games like Day of the Tentacle. It was basically trying all your inventory over interactable objets or NPCs until it works and you move forward. It is not very different from Gone Home.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 15 Oct 2014, 06:55 »

Trying and failing to figure out how to solve a puzzle is a failure state. Whether or not it's solvable with brute force doesn't change that.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 15 Oct 2014, 08:01 »

Then it works for Gone Home too then. Taken like that, there are failure states. Not very hard mind you, but there are.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 15 Oct 2014, 08:19 »

Like I said, I won't comment on Gone Home as I've never played it. It might very well be a game, I haven't the faintest idea. The only examples I've brought up so far are Dear Esther and Mountain. Other honorable mentions would be things like Proteus and... err... I can't bloody remember the name. There was another but I don't have the time to look it up right now. Doesn't matter anyway.

From what I heard about Gone Home though, it's hardly a puzzle game nor comparable to DotT.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #36 on: 15 Oct 2014, 08:37 »

I don't know, to me it's the same thing, just less complicated overall. You roam around and push buttons and/or use inventory and see if something happens...

But you are right, it's ten times less complicated in Gone Home. And near to non existing in Dear Esther.

Which bring me to the question : taking Gone Home as an example, is the "puzzle game" really the purpose of the game, or something else ? If so, is this still qualified as a game ? Do the intent and core of the game takes precedence over the few game mechanics that reminds us of a game with failure states ?

Likewise, we could talk about The Longuest Journey (which is an awesome series btw), which is kinda similar to DoT and similar adventure games, but ten times less convoluted and complicated : you spend your time progressing into the game with a few enigmas to solve here and there, just for the form. And a very much more linear inventory puzzle game. In the sequel, Dreamfall, it's not even there, the only failure states are in a extremely limited number of hacks/lockpicks (probably less than 10 in the whole game) and same for combats where you just spam a button and win. I mean, it's so close to Gone Home that...

Is the real issue a matter of the difficulty scale ? A game being something where the failure states are higher (DoT), and a game not being where the failure states are ridiculously low ?

So it's really fuzzy...

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 15 Oct 2014, 08:59 »

Not sure I agree. The difficulty of the failure state is fairly irrelevant to me. It might be easy as hell, but if you can fail at it it's a failure state. To again use examples I'm more familiar with, you can't fail at Dear Esther. The only way not to succeed is to stop playing, which I don't count as a failure state in a game but as a failure of the dev to maintain your interest.

I know I keep harping on about failure states, but beyond interaction it's the only characteristic I've seen that applies to all games as a useful term and the non-games all pretty much have in common that they don't have them.

/derail 1

In closing, The Longest Journey in Norwegian is easily the best adventure game experience I have ever had in all my life and nothing will ever surpass it. The voice actors just fucking nailed it so well. It may very well be the only Norwegian voice actor accomplishment of all time, except for Ice Age. All other voice acting up here is so utterly and completely shit.

/derail 0

Lyn Farel

« Reply #38 on: 15 Oct 2014, 09:21 »

But I think I get what you mean, but still, the only way to fail at DoT or Myst is to quit playing because you can't sovle an enigma. It's not the game telling you it's over, it's on your own volition...

Edit : also, TLJ is the best adventure game ever, no qualms about that  :)
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2014, 09:24 by Lyn Farel »

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #39 on: 15 Oct 2014, 09:27 »

On things like FF7 and how our perception has changed, I totally agree, though would you also see it that way if it was your first time playing it but right now ? Probably not. There would be the novelty factor. Don't forget that replaying something again and again makes that go away and the magic vanishes a little too. When the game is awesome it gets replaced by good old nostalgia.

But if you played it right now for the first time... You would see it differently. And differently from the first time you played it in the past too !

Not sure if i'm really clear in what i'm trying to say...

Well, it's unknowable  :) But I find the psychology of it genuinely fascinating.

There was a novelty factor at the time, because most jrpgs were presented in a certain way, about certain things, and this was bigger, grander, darker. I kind of felt, as a wee young lass, finally, they are taking me seriously. Instead of princesses in castles, you had reactors, gone-wrong-science-experiments, corporations and environmentalism. So that was a huge novelty factor at the time, yes.  Which wouldn't necessarily be so for a first play through now?

But while I'm aware I'm a different person (hopefully) to the one I was in my early teens, the game itself hasn't changed.  So I was quite surprised how irritating and frustrating I found certain things, how impatient and grumpy I got at minor obstacles. It's uncomfortably jarring.  It was also a nasty hit to personal pride that I had to look at a youtube video to get out of a room >.>

I'm not sure how I'd feel playing it for the first time now, really. Different, certainly, bestowed with the expectations of games I now have (as well as a different subject position in general). I can categorically say I would still have liked it, mind  ;)

Oh - which reminded me of something else.  One of the things I'm getting out of it now, which I did not get on my first playthrough, is a bigger emotional response (Not Aeris. Never liked her).  I think some of that is nostalgia fuelled.  It was a nostalgia binge that prompted my current playthrough (as well as these letters http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2011/03/the-final-fantasy-vii-letters-part-1-welcome-to-mi.html) as I was playing remixed songs from the soundtrack to my entirely unwilling and disinterested partner  :D (in a long car journey when he was driving and couldn't get out).

A particular song came on that reminded me of a certain scene, and excitedly I started to retell it from memory and then realised  :oops: to my distress and embarrassment, I was actually getting choked up and had all the sads.  Which is both the power of music (done well) and, well, I don't like sad stories about dogs basically, even if they are anthropomorphic >.> (eyeball torture and sad dog stories are my kryptonite, it's probably not advisable to publicly declare your weakness on the interwebs, but oh well).

But that's a combination of music, sad dog story and nostalgia.

On the recent playthrough, though, there was only a small scene - a flashback with an npc character waiting for her husband to come back from the war.  and it shows you her going each time hopefully to the train station, and each time being disappointed. eventually a severely injured woman with a young child comes out, the mother dies and the woman takes in the young child.  The young child is a bit odd though, sweet but says weird uncharacteristic things.  Talks about communing with the planet. Has moments of profundity. She basically asks the woman not to be sad, but that someone close to her has returned to the planet.  The woman dismisses it, but not long after is officially informed that her husband died in battle.

Le gulp.  Even writing that is making me a bit sad.  Which is obviously very silly. It's just, well, heartbreaking.  All that hope, each time, waiting for someone who is never coming back. It was done well, quietly, with little fanfare.  Just some speech bubbles hanging in the air over the images while music played. 

Probably subtle enough for me to miss entirely the first time. It can't have made much of impression first time around as I wasn't prepared for it. I had a vague recollection it happened story wise, but I doubt I cared, tbh.  It wasn't a big fancy FMV or a particularly prominent plot point. My desensitized macho little self would've been tapping her fingers going, ok, yeah, that's where Aeris came from, blah blah, dead-husband-NPC-that-I-never-met, do I get to kill stuff now?

I think that combination though - of music and speech bubbles, can be really effective and powerful if done right. Kind of like silent movies, the music has to take on more of a character to convey a lot of tone - though there's a lot of exaggerated facial expressions (which FF7 can't really do, and in fairness, even with all the realistic graphics we have now, attempting to recreate realistic facial expressions is still largely uncanny valley).

A decent voice actor can convey tone very well, of course.  But I wonder, now there's more of a move (and I'm not saying there shouldn't be!) to everything being voice acted, if the music plays less of a role now than maybe it did and sometimes the text music combination is more effective than voice acting in certain respects.

I think it was mostly technical issues, like memory issues (hard and graphics). You couldn't put much in terms of assets in your game so it was better to go through procedural generation to still make it big, at the expense of the uniqueness of every bit of levelbuild.

Mm. 
The thing is though, I think because we did procedural generation due to technical issues which made things big at the expense of uniqueness, and we now have the technical ability to produce uniqueness, there's the idea we should.  But maybe that's an assumption on my part? 
I'm not saying all games should be procedurally generated or anything like that (!) I'm just saying there are advantages to doing so in some cases that are perhaps overlooked because it's no longer the done thing.
Because we (sometimes) gain the uniqueness at the expense of other things.  Case by case, ofc, depends on the game and the intention and what you are trying to evoke.

I think perhaps there's an idea (?) that we develop things along a linear line and, as the technology improves, we do things in a different way that is inherently and objectively better. I don't think that's true at all, though.  I think things may have been done due to technological reasons, but things go in and out of fashion. Due to the tech, market, demographic or whatever else.

...Like the idea of MMOs that don't have levels or raids or a hotbar at the bottom for all your combat needs, or that they can have real loss where people can kill you or steal your stuff (or your house, or your boat) when Ultima Online was doing that shit in 1997. I nearly had an apoplexy when I read that the Elder Scrolls Online would not be including the thieves guild or the dark brotherhood because "it's too difficult to implement in an MMO." BITCH, PLEASE.  Vast, vast quantities of nerd rage eminating from me at the statement  :evil: an MMO is fucking tailor made for the killing and the thieving of other players, it would've been awesome in a nice tasty marinade of AWESOME SAUCE.  :evil: :evil: :evil:

From what I heard about Gone Home though, it's hardly a puzzle game nor comparable to DotT.

It's not a puzzle game  :)
(Though I would compare it to DotT, in that you just walk around and interact with objects).
Though an implied win state could be to find certain things out, and an implied fail state would be not doing so. Not overtly stated or overtly punished, but definitely an implied objective the game suggests to you. 
Your narrative progress could also be halted by not finding certain things (like a secret door, etc). You'd have to be fairly unobservant not to, as Lyn says, it's not difficult, but it would be possible.

Oh, also, Miz - I intended this to be fairly broad in considering what makes up the concept of a game.  I don't consider the best adventure game experience you ever had, and your reasoning why it was so, to necessarily be a derail.  If anything it helps show what's important to us about them. I think that's useful to explore, especially if what's important about them has changed over time.

There are some tangentially related questions - is there a disparity between what games are and what they could be? How have they changed - how have our expectations changed? (we'll stay away from the 'who are they for' question if poss, as that ends up being controversial)
^ fits into that somewhere I think.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2014, 09:58 by Kala »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 15 Oct 2014, 09:30 »

@Lyn

There's a rather important distinction between the two though. If you can't solve a puzzle, it's a failure state. If you just stop playing it's not. There's a whole 'nother discussion to be had about shitty game design when it comes to puzzles (completely illogical stuff that only lets you pass when you brute force some completely ridiculous combinations of items and so on) and these non-games (boring someone so badly they can't even be bothered keeping W down for a bit more), but I think that's a separate discussion to defining games.

@Kala

As I said, haven't played Gone Home (not going to, looks incredibly boring) so can't say much about it. From what little I can tell it's damn sure toeing the line between game and non-game, if not tumbling flat out over into non-game territory.

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #41 on: 15 Oct 2014, 09:47 »

Though obviously
and these non-games (boring someone so badly they can't even be bothered keeping W down for a bit more)
is entirely subjective  :P

We've got a definition of what a game is in a formal or technical sense of implied win/fail states.  (the flaw there, it seems to me, as a clear-cut definition, is overt win/fail states excludes too much, whereas implied covers almost everything.  But I would submit it's not a clear-cut thing.  Which is why it's interesting to talk about!  :D)

And other people have suggested definitions that are more around what the player does with the game than the game itself.  (I.e a game is a game because we use it to play).

I think there are distinctions between seeing games as a narrative form - a unique way of telling a story, seeing games as a creative tool - a way of creating something, or seeing games as an electronic version of sports maybe? with the competitive and scoring elements. And there's overlaps between all those things games are and can do in various games, ofc.

But if someone views games as a narrative form, and is interested primarily in the story elements, they aren't going to be bored if there's little to no action, provided that story is good enough to engage them and hold their attention.  (In kind of the same way that 140 hours of glorious FMV cinematics! was once a marketable aspect).

As I said, haven't played Gone Home (not going to, looks incredibly boring) so can't say much about it. From what little I can tell it's damn sure toeing the line between game and non-game, if not tumbling flat out over into non-game territory.

From where you're drawing the lines, probably so, yes.
I think they are very fuzzy lines, mind, which is no bad thing. 
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2014, 09:51 by Kala »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #42 on: 15 Oct 2014, 10:31 »

Yes that more or less. Will write a bit more about how things have changed and evolved for me later.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #43 on: 15 Oct 2014, 13:19 »

Well now, remember games 20-30 years back ? The idea behind how you played them and what you would find enjoyable in them was drastically different. It was all about challenge, and 'beating the game'. There you sure had that failure state being at the center of most games.

I remember playing extremely hardcore games compared to today's games, even if it was probably magnified significantly by the fact that I was still a kid. I mean, the first game ever I got was when my father bought our first computer and it was Prince of Persia, the first one. With pacman, but whatever. Prince of fucking Persia ! My mother was all "omagad" seeing all this blood, and me and my brother were all "omagad it's gross and it's awesome !". And we kept playing it again and again, even if we spent our time dying in the first levels. And you know, you had very few lives, so it was over pretty soon. And no save state. We also got just after the games i've probably spent the most time on besides MMO, but more about them later.

Yeah, no save states for a lot of games, since obviously it was the glorious time of ARCADE games everywhere in the streets. Maybe it was that that bolstered so much that idea that games had to be a challenge - you know, so that the player had to insert another coin again and again to go further. Probably not all of it, but i'm pretty sure it had a strong impact on gaming mentalities where friends used to gather in arcade shops and spend their dime into those games together. Because no internet and all that.

So, consoles and pc games were not that much different in themselves : plug it, launch your game, and try to go as far as you can before GAME OVER. And when you were a bit older than me the kid, and a true arcade gamer, it was not anymore about going a little further before dying, it was doing the same game again but BEATING YOUR OLD SCORE. NEW RECORD, ZING. It was the glorious days of Mario Bross, Sonic and all the likes on consoles. We had that wonderful thing that was a game gear (because fuck the famicom, sega fanboys die hard at 6 year old \m/), and we spent so many hours on most of those games, and now I think of it, I am not sure we even finished half of them. Well, we were young and as bad as youngsters can be compared to us now, but still. It was not easy. And most of the time you had to plug it off halfway with no save state to carry on later. Was pretty frustrating. But I guess my parents were okay with it because guess what, give a portable console to your kids when you are traveling long distances and it's even more miraculous than chloroforming them to keep them quiet. Without all the negative benefits that go with the latter. Whatever.

I couldn't play those like that today. Oh no, just... no. Some of those, I did out of nostalgia in a more recent past, and did in through an emulator, by cheating with save states so that I could freely run through it without the pain of starting again and again. Too old for that shit.  :D

So yes, as indoctrinated starwars fans, we got this sucker of a life that was the first x-wing and tie fighter sims. Do you remember how fucking hardcore they were, even compared to their already difficult successors ? Never finished even half of those and still continued to play them for years, every single day, or almost so. We also got Civilization I. Big sucker of a game too. Took many hours of my life away. Probably one of the few soft and accessible games of the time though, now that I think about it. But heh, not the same audience, not arcade-ish, it was meant for people that wanted to THINK more.

So yes, challenge. Lots of challenge. Everything was about challenge and beating the game. I remember having a cousin that was famous in the family of cousins for finishing most console games in a single day. They were not lying.

And then came the PC games renewal after Myst and the likes, and more traditional games in the sense we have them now. Closer, at least. And finally discovered RPGs in secondary school / high school, after so many years on PC RTS and grand strategy games. That's probably when I started to enjoy all the new horizons offered by a story behind. And then MMOs, too, with RP naturally (that's what made me come to MMOs in the first place, and most people waiting for a MMO to be released, in that case SWG, as soon as 2001, were all die hard fans that spent their time RPing on forums anyway).

All in all, we also had no walkthroughs and solutions for games in that time. That's also why it was part of the challenge.  We started to get some on the internet eventually, instead of looking for them in your weekly game magazine, but I was not subscribed to any game magazine anyway.

Now, like a lot of people I guess, I don't play for the challenge anymore. I don't want my games to be against a completely passive and unresponsive IA or challenge either in action packed phases, or especially strategy games, but I couldn't stand to play more than 5 minutes to a game of the old times when you basically spend your time dying and game-overing again and again, almost like honing your skills at a game like a bushi in a fucking dojo until reaching the perfect cut or something... Truly laudable, but still. I hear some games reintroduced the modern version of the genre, like Dark Souls, but it scares me now.  :(

Sometimes I don't even mind if the IA is stupid. I eventually figured that a lot of the games I played when I was younger (not a child, after), I eventually ended to cheat to get some progress because I either sucked at it, or it was just too damn tedious and hardcore, and that it already started to fade. I was there for the story damnit ! I WANT TO SEE THE NEXT CHAPTER OF THE FUCKING STORY. DON'T YOU DARE GAME-OVER ME @_@

But I cheated after having spent a lot of time trying to beat the game though (yeah, i'm not like that dude... yes really). And when it came to that inevitable end where it was time to use the unthinkable, the superweapon (aka the solution on the internet or the god almighty cheatcode like to finish that fucking Starcraft I campaign grrrblarg), it was always with that little sense of guilt behind, especially when my father mocked me for doing so. Damn him and his sense of righteousness. Righteousness doesn't belong into games that bully you until you die frothing at the mouth.

But yeah, there was definitely the young factor too. Youngsters are incredibly resourceful in games and tech devices and new technology, but they still have their limits.

Now ? Now I have seen games, played games. I mean, I have some experience in the matter, and probably more than in my 6th year of life. I am harder to please, a lot harder. I don't have the patience nor the time to struggle against a game that is apparently decided not to lay down.... Oh well I could I guess, if the game is so damn awesome. But it's harder to find games awesome. When I was a kid they were all awesome, more or less. Same shit with cinema and novels, btw. Probably a very natural thing.

Anyway, now, I work in video games, I know how they are done, I know what's behind the veil (well, at least studio side, I'm too scared to see what's behind the publishing veil, but it seems very gross, do not want). And i'm lazy. So damn lazy. I'm starting to associate a lot of games with tedious work when it's not fun enough to amuse me. And there is youtube.

Youtube with all the walkthroughs. Sometimes I just feel to watch one instead of playing. And it's pretty scary. I have been starting to think recently that maybe my interest in games is fading. The nightmare.

I don't think it is though. It's just that... we get more demanding. And less tolerating of things. And overall I just want to chill and have an entertaining, meaningful, deep, and engaging story. With a good gameplay if possible, but whatever, it's only secondary. Except in the case of grand strategy or RTS of course.

So I would say that now, games are more about entertainment than challenge, most of the time. Which is why I don't really put my trust in failure states nowadays.

Haven't rambled like that for years. And it feels weird. My analytic/synthetic side is not pleased.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2014, 13:24 by Lyn Farel »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 15 Oct 2014, 13:24 »

While I read all of that and found it interesting... what is in a game?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5