Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ishukone corporation manufactures the mind altering Transcranial Microcontroller?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alpha Centauri system has an Earth-sized planet  (Read 1437 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Alpha Centauri system has an Earth-sized planet
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2012, 19:25 »

I know right!   :eek:

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2012, 19:44 »

Cool.

When can we go there?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2012, 21:30 »

Well, you'll have to launch a ship with several factions on it first.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2012, 21:43 »

Some civilian workers got in among the research patients today, and got so hysterical I felt compelled to have them nerve-stapled.  The consequence, of course, will be another public relations nightmare.  But I was severely shaken by the extent of their revulsion to a project so important to our survival.

Vikarion

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2012, 21:57 »

I'm planning to launch some network node software. It will be so good that no one will feel the need to offer an alternative product.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2012, 05:24 »

Some civilian workers got in among the research patients today, and got so hysterical I felt compelled to have them nerve-stapled.  The consequence, of course, will be another public relations nightmare.  But I was severely shaken by the extent of their revulsion to a project so important to our survival.
  • CEO Nwabudike Morgan, The Personal Diaries

As part of the pre-order package for XCOM on Steam, I got Civilization 5. Thought it would be great, as I really enjoyed Civilization back in the days (on my Amiga 500+). Sadly, this new version does not seem to be able to catch my interest.

Instead I reinstalled Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire (all expansions should be like this one) and found great pleasure in the vastly surperior gameplay and atmosphere.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2012, 05:53 »

If the multipolar world order takes off in the next couple of decades, maybe nations will be interested in space travel again, particularly if it involves competition...if China really takes off with their space program, then the US suddenly might get interested again. And if the EU wants to prove itself as the benchmark of a highly-educated and tech-savvy populace, they might take off too. Then India might get involved...and since the US or EU won't want to be outdone by a country where millions are still beneath the poverty line, they'll step up the game, too.

It's one of the few areas of human competition where the benefits far outweigh the good IMO. A space race is MUCH more preferable to an arms race.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2012, 06:32 »

A space race is MUCH more preferable to an arms race.

until you start racing on who sends weapons to space first

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2012, 07:54 »

Seriphyn, the critical assumption you made is that there is not already a second Space Race underway.

Billionaires, many of whom were either young children or not even born, when men first walked on the Moon are funding/backing/running long term projects that create a sustainable human presence in LEO and beyond.

You may not like the idea of space being the domain of corporate, private entities, but that is the way it is going.

In my opinion, Virgle is more likely than a manned international base on the Moon or mission to Mars.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2012, 07:58 »

If the multipolar world order takes off in the next couple of decades, maybe nations will be interested in space travel again, particularly if it involves competition...if China really takes off with their space program, then the US suddenly might get interested again. And if the EU wants to prove itself as the benchmark of a highly-educated and tech-savvy populace, they might take off too. Then India might get involved...and since the US or EU won't want to be outdone by a country where millions are still beneath the poverty line, they'll step up the game, too.

It's one of the few areas of human competition where the benefits far outweigh the good IMO. A space race is MUCH more preferable to an arms race.

Nah...

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2012, 09:23 »

Oh, well, corporations or governments going into space doesn't matter. As long as humans get up there to begin with!

We can discuss the problems of the corporatization of space when we actually have millions of folks up there :yar:

Also OMG, that Virgle thing. I missed the April Fool's joke...
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2012, 09:31 by Seriphyn »

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2012, 14:36 »

So, when do we attack?

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2012, 14:38 »

Tomorrow.  Suit up!
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2012, 19:54 »

Filthy Xenos won't know what hit them!
Pages: [1] 2