Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Boosters are banned because they cause a deadly, incurable brain disease?  Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: American Diversity (includes discussion on regional BBQ)  (Read 3142 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: American Diversity
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jul 2012, 15:57 »

Yes there is of course. I was being an ass, mostly. But you will definitly find more diversity in a lot of other countries. The more your country puts on keeping your culture dominant and strong, the more it tends to clash with foreigner influences. This is what I meant by centralization. Everything is centralized, including the national culture, that is very, very rigid.

Cain Jacobi

• Clonejack
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jul 2012, 23:03 »

Another place in the Pacific Northwest that serves very excellent bbq is called Boogaloos Bar-B-Que which is located on the Bremerton side of the Seattle-Bremerton ferry run. Their pulled pork sandwich are very tasty and their sauce is a thick and spicy one that they make themselves. 

Vikarion

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2012, 23:59 »

get the couch ready. That is all.

If it's not too nosy, and I don't intend to be, does this mean you intend to enjoy the atmosphere of one of our fine states? (I suggest you avoid the "un-fine states").

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 11 Jul 2012, 00:54 »

If it's not too nosy, and I don't intend to be, does this mean you intend to enjoy the atmosphere of one of our fine states? (I suggest you avoid the "un-fine states").

If the pig pickin's won't come to me ...
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 11 Jul 2012, 01:00 »

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jul 2012, 01:06 »

Barbecue?
Spicy ketchup? I'm going to faint at the sight of such travesties.
Will work for pretty sig.

Vikarion

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jul 2012, 01:52 »

If the pig pickin's won't come to me ...

Awesome. I hope you enjoy your stay. If you happen to be in *ahem* Northern California at any point and need directions/help with anything, PM me and I'll do what I can. This offer is up for any other of you "foreigners" who show up here too, BTW.  :) 

Personally, however, I advise visiting the east coast. The more northern parts of it. California is a giant tinderbox full of nuts at this time of year.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #22 on: 12 Jul 2012, 10:51 »

*offers Kohiko her axe, her sword and her Cast Iron Skillet of Loving Correction to use on these heathens*

Carolina barbecue is the only proper barbecue.   

I say this even though I grew up in the heart of Memphis barbecue country, and did college the first time around smack in the middle between Kansas City and St. Louis barbecue country.  I can say this, thanks to American diversity.

A sizable portion of my maternal-maternal and maternal-paternal ancestors emigrated from North Carolina to the Memphis area after the Revolutionary War (my Scottish immigrant great-great-great-some grandfather had a grand old time fighting the British, raised hell until he got a promised veteran's pension and used it to buy a huge farm in Arkansas river country). They brought what was eventually called Carolina-style barbecue with them, retained the traditions, and passed them down, local culinary influences be damned.  I'm still racking my brain over why my family puts sliced radishes on tacos, though.  I've never seen that anywhere but back home -- or in my own kitchen.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jul 2012, 10:57 »

Sliced radishes on tacos is a common thing in Mexico and here in Texas at the more "authentic" taquerias. We do it at home, too, for very obvious reasons.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jul 2012, 17:43 »

Sliced radishes on tacos is a common thing in Mexico and here in Texas at the more "authentic" taquerias. We do it at home, too, for very obvious reasons.

Huh.  I wonder if my great-grandfather and grandfather picked up the habit from the farm workers they used to supervise.  Seems reasonable: my blood relatives are about as Mexican as Tabasco sauce.

Faraelle Brightman

• Clonejack
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jul 2012, 14:27 »

I feel strangely compelled to backtrack a bit and defend "chicken barbeque", which is the closest native thing the Northeast has to "real" barbeque. The recipie in my mom's recipie box calls for a seasoned vinegar and oil basting liquid which is applied frequently while the chicken cooks over moderate charcoal. Depending on the cut of chicken (anywhere from drumsticks to whole half chickens) it's a 30 min to an hour processes rather than a many hours long process that pork or beef would go through but done well, the result is still pretty yummy. When the local American Legion or Lions Club or whatnot wants to hold a summer fundraiser, it's often a chicken barbeque, and the meeting halls of such places tend to feature big cinder block and iron grate grills for such purposes.

Course, I live in Arizona now.  I can hardly move without bumping into someone who's at least fluent in Spanish, and half the storefronts in my neighborhood are in Spanish. I still think of myself more as a New Yorker than an Arizonan though.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2012, 14:32 by Faraelle Brightman »

Vikarion

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jul 2012, 00:05 »

Geez, for me, BBQ was always just my dad throwing some chicken on the grill that had marinated for 2 days. On the other hand, that chicken was some of the best I've had in my life.
Pages: 1 [2]