Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Mindflood, a sedative booster, is taken by pouring liquid from a vial onto a cloth, placing it over one's mouth, and inhaling the fumes? (The Burning Life p 38)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Animated Movies  (Read 1569 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Animated Movies
« on: 02 Nov 2011, 14:59 »

So, I've recently purchased and watched the Lion King on Bluray and spent 88 minutes on a rollercoaster of emotion ranging from jawdropping awe through contended sighs and straight to wild cheering and teethgrinding rage. As a youngling in '94 when it was first released, I really didn't appreciate it for the genuine masterpiece it really is. Complex and well-crafted characters, moral depth and lessons, absolutely stunning animation and glorious music. From the epitome of Great Rulers (Mufasa, Simba's father) to the fantastic 'bad guy' with a fantastic attitude, Scar. They all work fantastically well with the story and each other and nothing feels shoehorned in or out of place.

This movie is just... it's easily my favorite animated movie and that's damn high praise when it comes up against some of the CG movies of today, considering how much of a 'grown up' genre it's become over the years.

I'm planning to get ahold of as many of these good old animated movies as I can on Bluray (hopefully before that becomes obsolete) and for that matter get some digital copies as well for the future. I've really come to appreciate some of those old kids' movies on a whole new level after 'growing up' so to speak, and I really think they're worth saving for whoever comes after me. Perish the thought of me spawning a brood of Mizlings, but who knows? If I do... I want them to see some of these masterpieces.

What's your favorites amongst animated movies and why?

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Re: Animated Movies
« Reply #1 on: 02 Nov 2011, 15:30 »

Princess Mononoke.

No real reason why I love this film, I just absolutely adore it :)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 02 Nov 2011, 15:58 »

There is a lot of good animated movies that have been released in the past five years.
Most of the Pixar catalogue is very good.

If you're talking about drawn animated movies, then you have to go back quite some time...

... or go for animu.

From ye olde Disney movies, Snow White has been always my favourite.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 02 Nov 2011, 17:24 »

I'm not sure if Claymation counts, but Wallace & Gromit have always been a favorite for me.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Desiderya

« Reply #4 on: 02 Nov 2011, 19:42 »

Because I've watched it recently again, Jin-Roh is pretty good.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 03 Nov 2011, 06:11 »

Totoro

i dont know why, but it's such a beautifil and simple movie. Will watch with my childs if i ever become a father.

And the "Last Airbender" series, althought not a movie, but in the same category you describe.

Ryven Krennel

• Wetgraver
« Reply #6 on: 03 Nov 2011, 07:34 »

Mulan, Kung Fu Panda, Titan A.E.

3 of my favorites.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 03 Nov 2011, 13:39 »

NausicaƤ, just for the beautiful masterpiece it is (especially with the whole universe, especially the paper version). Probably the only story that made me feel high for at least one week.

Then, a lot of others Ghiblis (including Grave of the Fireflies, that was so unsanely good, for those that have not seen it, you will just have to watch it to understand, but do not do that if you are already depressed). In the Tim Burton style, maybe Coraline, even if it was not very original, it was a well done animated movie. And a lot of Pixars, of course, especially Wall-E. On the Disney side, my favorite is probably the Beauty and the Beast. Oh, and I almost forgot : Le Roi et l'Oiseau (The King and the Mocking Bird), of course, for being one of these beautiful classics that are sadly not so well known.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 03 Nov 2011, 13:57 »

My favorite is "Finding Nemo". Heck, I can see that movie anytime and it will always cheer me up.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #9 on: 04 Nov 2011, 04:22 »

Finding Nemo for sure.

As for Lion King... Jeremy Irons.
'nuff said.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #10 on: 04 Nov 2011, 05:44 »

Disney's Aladdin deserves a mention.

I find the characters well thought and the story quite entertaining as well, and animation quite awesome. Genie <3 Both Robin Williams and the localisation done by Vesa-Matti Loiri. I tend to watch it both in English and Finnish, while I usually don't like localization dubs and prefer subs.

As an interesting tidbit; One of the greatest influences on the character of Vince was Aladdin.

Crucifire

« Reply #11 on: 05 Nov 2011, 12:03 »

Akira, some of the nicest animation of the past few decades with a thrilling, creepy story you won't forget any time soon. (And I don't usually like anime)

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 Nov 2011, 16:58 »

Ghost in The Shell.

Both the original two films and the Stand Alone Complex material.

As a long time Culturenic I particularly like that the Tachicomas are much nicer than any of the actual humans in the Stand Alone Complex plots.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 05 Nov 2011, 18:04 »

Akira, some of the nicest animation of the past few decades with a thrilling, creepy story you won't forget any time soon. (And I don't usually like anime)
With a lot of screaming.

That's pretty much the only bad thing about it :D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2011, 10:10 »

I was thinking of rewatching The Lion King recently  :) (and am not, in general, a fan of Disney but liked The Lion King and Aladdin)

I'll echo the studio Ghibli films mentioned; Grave of the Fireflies (SO. SAD. unrelentingly sad.) My Neighbour Totoro (very sweet - I kind of see it as the inverse companion of Grave in the Fireflies and can understand, artistically if not comercially, why the two have been released together) Princess Mononoke (one of my favourate films of all time - love LOVE...) but I'd also add Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

(it's personal taste, but however well done the dubbing is, I always prefer subs. It seems...somewhat incongruous to hear American accents in Grave of the Fireflies f.ex)

But I'd also mention Watership Down which is a pretty old animooted film about (ostensibly) rabbits, which if you liked The Lion King, you may also appreciate.  It's also fairly affecting, specially as a youngen.  And spares no punches; vacillating between harsh and beautiful (like much of the natural world, I suppose). 
Pages: [1] 2