Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That "Perfection ain't all it's cracked up to be" is an Angel Cartel saying? (Region Description)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Anonymous playing dangerous game  (Read 4851 times)

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
Re: Anonymous playing dangerous game
« Reply #15 on: 29 Oct 2011, 21:30 »

I don't think the point of the StratFor analysis was that the Cartels would strike at the source of the information leaks.

They'd just butcher whoever they could get their hands on to make their point.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 30 Oct 2011, 00:11 »

The cartels are sitting on a fairly thin line right now.  US politicians are already hinting at sending in US troops as the violence rages on the US border and in many cases is spilling over.  Mexicans are hinting that they think US troops would be a good thing as the Mexican troops are bought and as corrupt as the police and politicians.  Maybe nothing comes of it.  But a few wrong moves and the whisperings of Rick Perry could be come the campaign platform of Mitt Romney.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #17 on: 30 Oct 2011, 01:46 »

I don't think the point of the StratFor analysis was that the Cartels would strike at the source of the information leaks.

They'd just butcher whoever they could get their hands on to make their point.
http://www.fastcompany.com/1785413/narcogangs-social-media-and-21st-century-crime
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/blogger-decapitated-as-mexican-cartels-turn-on-social-networks-20110926-1ksam.html
"Earlier this month, a man and a woman were found hanging dead from an overpass in Nuevo Laredo with a similar message threatening "this is what will happen" to internet users. However, it has not been clearly established whether the two had in fact ever posted any messages, or on what sites."

relevant to this sort of thing.

everyone with a computer becomes a bigger target for the cartels.

Responses of "u mad bro?" and other derpery about "not getting the right person" to cartels hanging people from lampposts aren't "lulz".
\o/

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #18 on: 30 Oct 2011, 16:26 »

It's only a matter of time before they hear of Anonymous' origins with 4chan, and its founder (and their personality cult around) 'moot'.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 30 Oct 2011, 16:42 »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #20 on: 30 Oct 2011, 22:17 »

Yup.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 31 Oct 2011, 05:24 »

There is some good things and also some bad things in the Anonymous movement. It find it pretty unfair to say that they are all morons, considering the decentralized/shattered structure of such an entity.

They are.

Okay, if you say so... I stopped reading after this.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #22 on: 31 Oct 2011, 10:51 »

There is some good things and also some bad things in the Anonymous movement. It find it pretty unfair to say that they are all morons, considering the decentralized/shattered structure of such an entity.

They are.

Elaborate. I've told you the specifics of my viewpoint - even if it was crude due to total lack of respect - and would like to know the specifics of yours.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #23 on: 31 Oct 2011, 11:11 »

Why hasnt the US invaded Mexico yet? whats honestly keeping them from just rolling in? They could secure that entire country in less then 48 hours and end 95% of the corruption pouring from mexico into the states. The cost of the invasion would prolly be less then what they spend each year trying to combat the cartels drug/weapon smuggling and illegal aliens coming into the country.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #24 on: 31 Oct 2011, 13:32 »

April 1 is on the other side of the year, Invelious.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #25 on: 31 Oct 2011, 13:38 »

I expect this will be almost as successful as Anon's war on scientology.  :roll:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 31 Oct 2011, 16:15 »

They are.

Elaborate. I've told you the specifics of my viewpoint - even if it was crude due to total lack of respect - and would like to know the specifics of yours.

You should have thought about it before "forgetting" to put a little "I think" before your statement.

And yes, as explained countless times in the charter of this forum, it matters a lot and it is very telling.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 31 Oct 2011, 17:08 »

I expect this will be almost as successful as Anon's war on scientology.  :roll:
Before Anon, Scientology was known as a harmless pastime for bored upper middle class people and celebrities. After Anon, it was known as a creepy death cult with a seaborne slave organization and inhuman practices.

I'd say Anon won that war.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #28 on: 31 Oct 2011, 17:10 »

Why hasnt the US invaded Mexico yet? whats honestly keeping them from just rolling in? They could secure that entire country in less then 48 hours and end 95% of the corruption pouring from mexico into the states. The cost of the invasion would prolly be less then what they spend each year trying to combat the cartels drug/weapon smuggling and illegal aliens coming into the country.

I think you're heavily overestimating how much my nation can do. I'll be glad when the day comes that we stop trying to help other nations entirely.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #29 on: 08 Nov 2011, 14:31 »

Zetas Cartel frees kidnap victim following the threats from Anon.

As the article points out, chances are that the Anon threats may very well have had almost nothing to do with said release, but the dangerous game is actually heating up rather than cooling down. The cartel in question warned that for every name released among the cartel, ten people would die.

Personally... hit it. The Cartels aren't going to just cease to exist at some arbitrary point in the future. They'll go on until someone stops them. The exact means to do this is of course up in the air, but it's apparently not happening at this point. If Anon provokes them into severe enough violence in the US and Europe, the major players in the world will soon have no other choice than to allocate serious resources into taking the cartels down.

The violence and deaths will still be there. This way, though, it might just be a short-term amount of violence followed by significant enough response from the rest of us instead of a prolonged and unending parade of violence and death stemming from the cartels.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4