Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Suuolo" is Caldari for friend? For more, read here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anonymous to Strike Again (!!!)  (Read 3423 times)

Raze Valadeus

Re: Anonymous to Strike Again (!!!)
« Reply #15 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:13 »

I don't use Facebook, never have and never will. I'm not a huge fan of social networking, so this doesn't really affect me personally. But, I still tend to frown at displays like this because some people's lives will be disrupted by it and there are even businesses that make use of Facebook to advertise, connect and update their clientele.

I just think there are better ways to go about making statements.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #16 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:43 »

I like Facebook. It is helping me stay in touch with friends in an easier way. It's also more accessible for my not so technically inclined friends. Then again, we're not 10 years ago anymore, where having MSN was rare :P And there is merit in the doing an effort thing. Yes, it means "less friends" but you could identify the really good friends more easily. Still, I enjoy our regular meetups, and I'd like for Facebook to keep existing, because it makes organizing it so much easier.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #17 on: 11 Aug 2011, 11:08 »

I like it, find it useful for keeping in touch, and use it on a daily basis. Will I cry if its down for 24 hrs? No. I've got plenty of other distractions >.>

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #18 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:26 »

Called it.

Personally, I fucking love this, as 'social networking' sites in general piss me off. Once, they may have been useful tools for promoting social interaction and so on, but now they've bloody replaced it. The amount of people who will rage and cry about Facebook being down counts in legions. The river of tears will be beyond delicious. People will actually be forced to *le gasp* actually contact friends and family instead of just dully stare at an LCD screen, looking for the 'like' button. Or not, maybe they'll just sit there and go to Google+. I don't care.

Now, if only they could permanently take down those damn sites, I would celebrate the day with champagne.

THIS, fucking this.

I'm the only guy in my family below 50 who don't have facebook, twitter or any other social-replacer like this, and this is not going to change anytime soon. I'm generally annoyed with anon in general for their idiotic activities and attention-whoring but I won't cry a single tear if facebook etc. goes down in flames never to return.

Perhaps then, people will actually add me on MSN or call my number or... visit my home. Maybe.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2011, 05:22 »

Called it.

Personally, I fucking love this, as 'social networking' sites in general piss me off. Once, they may have been useful tools for promoting social interaction and so on, but now they've bloody replaced it. The amount of people who will rage and cry about Facebook being down counts in legions. The river of tears will be beyond delicious. People will actually be forced to *le gasp* actually contact friends and family instead of just dully stare at an LCD screen, looking for the 'like' button. Or not, maybe they'll just sit there and go to Google+. I don't care.

Now, if only they could permanently take down those damn sites, I would celebrate the day with champagne.

THIS, fucking this.

I'm the only guy in my family below 50 who don't have facebook, twitter or any other social-replacer like this, and this is not going to change anytime soon. I'm generally annoyed with anon in general for their idiotic activities and attention-whoring but I won't cry a single tear if facebook etc. goes down in flames never to return.

Perhaps then, people will actually add me on MSN or call my number or... visit my home. Maybe.

Selective ethics ?  :P

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2011, 06:01 »

Bloodbird, you say social-replacer, while I would call it social-enhancer. Keeping in touch with friends over a long distance can by pricy, to the point where a person has to choose their own well-being by no longer putting money into it. I think you should sit down with friends and work on a compromise if it bothers you that much. Because you're also locking them out by saying they should do things your way. That's not how friendship works, it's a mutual thing.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 16 Aug 2011, 12:29 »

Heard they got bored of waiting and in the meantime cracked open the San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) system's website and spilled a bunch of user profiles (including passwords) onto the internet in response to BART shutting down cell phone service in their stations to prevent the phones from being used to coordinate protests over the shooting of a man by a BART police officer.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #22 on: 16 Aug 2011, 13:52 »

Bloodbird, you say social-replacer, while I would call it social-enhancer. Keeping in touch with friends over a long distance can by pricy, to the point where a person has to choose their own well-being by no longer putting money into it. I think you should sit down with friends and work on a compromise if it bothers you that much. Because you're also locking them out by saying they should do things your way. That's not how friendship works, it's a mutual thing.

It was a social enhancer once upon a time. Not so any longer. There's a pile of people I've lost contact with as they don't respond to anything but facebook communications anymore. E-mail, phone texts and so on. There's nothing mutual about refusing to use a whole heap of free communication unless it's got that ridiculous f icon stamped on it. When people want to get in touch with me, there's a whole heap of options available to them. Phonecall, text, voice-mail, e-mail, IRC and even a few Instant Messagers. There's also a pile of forums, Steam and hell I have even created a Twitter account in order to keep an eye on a few interesting authors and publishers I like. If none of these are acceptable, because they need a 'wall' to vandalize, 'like' buttons and shitty Facebook games, fuck them.

Facebook hasn't 'enhanced' social endeavors for a good long while. It's eroded them.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #23 on: 16 Aug 2011, 16:49 »

The domination of Facebook is unhealthy, I think. Useful as it is, I find it annoying that so many people will only use Facebook, with all the other (less evil, less vulnerable) options discarded in its favour.

I suppose I wouldn't mind quite as much if it weren't so blatantly obvious that the company wants to make itself indispensable to your life in order to take all your info and whore it to the highest bidder.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction
Pages: 1 [2]