Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki who supported Caldari independence from the Federation were first exiled from the Federation, and then attacked by Caldari radicals demanding the expulsion of all foreigners? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anonymous to Strike Again (!!!)  (Read 3424 times)

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
Anonymous to Strike Again (!!!)
« on: 10 Aug 2011, 01:33 »

So for those who haven't heard the prima donnas DDoS griefers "legion" caffeine-deprived nerds annoying blob called Anonymous is claiming they're going to destroy Facebook on Guy Fawkes' Day. What do people think? Is Anonymous becoming another RABBLERABBLERABBLERABBLE group of headline-seekers? And how're you going to celebrate having no Facebook for 24 hours?

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: Anonymous to Strike Again (!!!)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2011, 03:31 »

It's my birthday. Probably will be drunk :D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2011, 04:53 »

My brother reaction:
FUCK YEA no Facebook

Nice iniciative  :twisted: :evil:

Desiderya

« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2011, 05:25 »

I don't like facebook.
But that doesn't make an action like this anything different than the other hacks.
Oh, and Guy Fawkes was the madman who wanted to blow up the british parliament, right?
A very good source of inspiration here.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2011, 05:49 »

Oh well, at least we'll still have G+. Which they can then target next year, because it's about just as bad, I bet. If anyone is truly worried atm, put a really difficult password that in no way relates to your other passwords on there and use it some time before / after.

If I were in charge of Facebook, I'd just troll them right back, take the service down for the day, place a big message saying "can't blow up what's not here" on the frontpage and watch the rage.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Victoria Valadeus

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2011, 15:44 »

I'm so glad I don't use facebook.

Crucifire

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2011, 16:30 »

Ditto. I don't use Google+ either. Putting a little effort into getting in touch with friends feels better. Like picking up a phone and actually calling someone or sending an email to their inbox. It's more proactive, Facebook made me lazy and I didn't like that.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2011, 16:51 »

As much of an irritant they are, I do enjoy watching Anon/Lulz/Anti at "work".

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2011, 17:01 »

Personally, I am not a fan of chaos, anarchy, rebellion or disrupting other people's affairs and activities for the sake of laughs, chest beating or bravado of any sort.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2011, 18:24 »

Personally, I am not a fan of chaos, anarchy, rebellion or disrupting other people's affairs and activities for the sake of laughs, chest beating or bravado of any sort.

I tend to agree even though I can't help but laugh about it. I can't remember the last time I logged into Facebook so I doubt it will bother me much.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2011, 19:53 »

I agree with Anonymous' issues with facebook, though I'm less certain about their means of making people aware of those issues (acquiring proof of facebook sending info to goverment agencies? Far, far more worth it, in my opinion, even if far, far harder).

I will say, however, that Anonymous doing this is... well, not terribly destructive. So we won't have facebook for a day? Big whup; it's the internet equivalent of someone throwing toilet paper in your tree - you grumble and gnash your teeth for a little while, go and pull down the most of it, and move on; no lasting harm done. Should Anonymous go on to perform any actions that has permanent damage or lasting effects, that will be significantly different.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2011, 20:58 »

So, they may have decided to start early; Facebook's log-in server is currently failing.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #12 on: 10 Aug 2011, 21:43 »

Called it.

Personally, I fucking love this, as 'social networking' sites in general piss me off. Once, they may have been useful tools for promoting social interaction and so on, but now they've bloody replaced it. The amount of people who will rage and cry about Facebook being down counts in legions. The river of tears will be beyond delicious. People will actually be forced to *le gasp* actually contact friends and family instead of just dully stare at an LCD screen, looking for the 'like' button. Or not, maybe they'll just sit there and go to Google+. I don't care.

Now, if only they could permanently take down those damn sites, I would celebrate the day with champagne.

Altantsetseg Naranbaatar

• Eyeshadow and Oil Smudges
  • Clonejack
  • What? I always dress like this...
    • Alta's Closet
« Reply #13 on: 10 Aug 2011, 23:36 »

On the one hand, I don't want to be cheering for a group of internet vandals any more than I would want to cheer for vandals in real life...

On the other hand, it's hard not to when they pick a target I so thoroughly loathe.  Now, if I thought they were going to actually do something productive, it might be an easier decision, but as it is, it's all just sorta 'Whatever'.  I won't notice either way if Facebook is down for a day, unless savages start pounding on my door, screaming for water, shelter, and canned goods.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2011, 06:30 »

I have to admit that my bad side was all happy to read this and that made me laugh. Though eventually this is not like this they will change minds. Turn it ridiculous instead of destroying it for the sake of destroying it.
Pages: [1] 2