Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mind Clash is a hugely popular sport throughout the cluster, and is centered on the willpower of two opponents? Read more here!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: All time, Top 5 Political Figures  (Read 3668 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: All time, Top 5 Political Figures
« Reply #15 on: 06 Jan 2011, 19:43 »

François-Dominique Toussaint Louverture  -- Helped lead Haiti to freedom, and established a free state from a population of slaves, something had never happened before or since.  He showed great political savvy, as well as military skill, in defeating the Spanish, the French and the Brits.  That Haiti was latter economically destroyed by the geo-political actions of said powers shouldnt take away from his legacy.

Caesar -- The Roman Republic was a byzantine and intensely complex political, economic, cultural, religious and military system, where some of the greatest minds of the ancient world constantly struggled for status and rank.  Caesar was killed basically because he had "won" a game that everyone had been playing for centuries, excelling in practically every area.  The assumed he would become Emperor because that was the only thing he hadnt done yet.  

Hannibal -- The greatest general in the history of the world, in my opinion.  His tactical genius is still being studied, in fact it could be argued that he was the inventor of modern military thinking.  Cannae was truly brilliant.   What makes Hannibal so amazing isnt just that he crushed the Romans repeatedly, its the army he did it with.   Heres what he did
1.) marched your army into enemy controlled territory thousands of miles from your home and supplies, an army much smaller than what you will face.
2.) meet random people, people youve barely heard of before.  You share nothing, not language, religion, military doctrine, nothing...all you share is a desire to kill Romans and get shiny loot
3.) merge said random, unaligned groups into an army (on the fly) that will then take on the most disciplined, aggressive, skilled, and motivated army the world had seen up until that time. Keep in mind you will fight outnumbered and almost completely cut off from your supply lines.
4.) Crush said armies.  Repeat until they literally decide to create a strategy thats based around not ever fighting you.

The only reason he lost is because he was unaware that the Roman creation of the nation-state had dramatically changed warfare.  But as a tactical leader and a pure leader of men, really cant be beat in my opinion.

Thomas Jefferson.  -- Yes, I'm an American, and the dude had tons of faults.  But, creating the concept of a constitutional democracy was kinda a big deal.  Most likely, if you're reading this, you're living in one, or in a political system heavily influenced by it.  

Abraham Lincoln.  -- Again, yes I'm an American, but Abraham Lincoln is one of the few historical figures who becomes greater the more you study him.  In short, the more you know about him, the more amazing he was.  To prove this isn't a wholly American view, or a modern one, I'll use one of Leo Tolstoy's quote "“We are still too near to his greatness, but after a few centuries more our posterity will find him considerably bigger than we do." “His genius is still too strong and too powerful for the common understanding, just as the sun is too hot when its light beams directly on us.”

Tolstoy always called him "the perfect human being".

Honorable mention: Metternich, Bolivar, Charlemagne, Qin Shihuang, Cyrus the Great, Alexander, Tokugawa Ieyasu, Churchill (on quotes alone),
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2011, 20:03 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Carmilla

• Clonejack
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2011, 08:29 »

Not in any particular order as they all have pro's and cons about various aspects of who they are.

1: Charles de Gaulle
2: Churchill
3: Oliver Cromwell
4: Ghengis Khan
5: Imhotep (3rd Dynasty)

Akikio L

• Wetgraver
    • Akikio's Plog
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2011, 12:34 »

Lenin
Bakunin
Franz Fanon
Emma Goldman
Aristotle

Maximum Kiely

• Owner-Operator
  • Clonejack
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jan 2011, 15:37 »

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan 2011, 10:06 »

1) Arnold Schwarzenegger
2) Pol Pot
3) Jean Luc Picard
4) Genghis Khan
5) Spiderman
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll

Maximum Kiely

• Owner-Operator
  • Clonejack
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2011, 15:30 »

4. Pierre Trudeau

o.0

You no like?

I don't mind Trudeau, just a little surprised to see his name.  :D

But I think he'd just barely make my top 5 Canadian political figures (Let's see... Sir John A., Mackenzie King, Tommy Douglas... uhm??? Ya, He'd be 4th) he wouldn't be top 5 globally though... to me anyway.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jan 2011, 16:54 »

Cicero - for being the consummate politician at a time when being a politician without a legion at your back took real balls.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Shal Novastorm

• Wetgraver
« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2011, 17:08 »

In no real set order:

Napoleon
Qin Shi Huang
Nelson Mandela
Saladin
Ivan IV of Russia (The 'Terrible' for non-Russia history dorks)

Sophie Starsparrow

• Clonejack
« Reply #24 on: 31 Jan 2011, 16:08 »

Going with the 'doesn't mean I agree with them' motivation...

George Bush Sr. - a CIA man who became vice-, then president, with two sons as governors one who also became president?
Pierre Elliot Trudeau - the last great statesman
Alexander the Great - A genius in every sense of the word
Fidel Castro - Sorry but Cuba's economic problems have more to do with American embargoes than his policies
Mao Tse Tung - Communism equals feminism was a stroke of brilliance
Pages: 1 [2]