Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You fly your ship from inside a pod, not from a bridge?

Author Topic: Change of pace and reconciliation  (Read 535 times)

Lyn Farel

Change of pace and reconciliation
« on: 09 Feb 2014, 11:32 »

Hello,

I am finding myself having a few afterthoughts leading to a bit of reflection about a few things for my RP and character. To cut it short I have always felt that the climate on the IGS tended to push me in the wrong direction. I may have a character that can be opinionated on some things but it's rather unusual to begin with. I have played that part to accommodate myself as a player and made at times my character come rather confrontational (especially on the IGS, where lies the problem), which is not necessarily a bad thing, but tends to sacrifice some bits of the more diffident and true character.

It helped to isolate even more a character that is already isolationist by nature, and not necessarily for the good reasons as well. So I can't help but have the feeling that my character can feel (at least to me) rather disjointed when taking her IGS presence on one hand, and her personality on the other. It never really bugged me too much since I always explained it by her ideological youth sometimes prevailing on her extremely cautious/paranoid/antisocial/polite/formal behavior. But after several years it eventually starts to annoy me. I mean, the direction the character keeps ingame and the direction she keeps on the IGS. Both can be logically explained on how they came to that, but the one on the IGS slowly starts to derail from her own background, evolving.

Personally I don't like her open idealism. I like her being internally idealistic. Well, that's the goal.

So now, I am asking for feedback and advice as I decided to take a more violent turn to put that back on track. Basically, I want her to have a sudden change of personality on Galnet. Maybe it can also have consequences on her ingame or in close circles. I don't mind as long as it provides RP opportunities. So for that to happen I need something, a RP disturbance of some kind. It can be anything, either science, social stuff, political stuff, all of this together... I am not necessarily looking for huge drama and epic stuff, maybe the contrary. It can be rather mundane, as long as it remains significant. If you have interesting ideas to toss here or privately or whatever I'm listening. If you have ideas involving some kind of RP plot or other characters, all the better.

I usually loathe planning stuff that should happen IC as I think it tends to partially break the pleasure of the unexpected, and the discovery of the story. If I already know how everything will turn out, and I know every bit of the planned script, why just not skip the realisation and directly go to the end result ? Well yes, but I still need something and there is not so many ways to do it here unfortunately. But I can still accept an initial RP disturbance leading to unplanned interesting stuff. Ideally, that's good.

Feel free to ask questions as I understand that I probably know a lot more sides of my characters and her story than people not playing her, so if it can give you ideas...

Well in any case, thanks in advance, I would really like some help or feedback.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2014, 11:36 by Lyn Farel »

Jace

• Veteran
Re: Change of pace and reconciliation
« Reply #1 on: 09 Feb 2014, 17:46 »

An easy way to have drastic change in a character without having to create a melodramatic storyline is to have her start spending time with people she normally wouldn't - those around you have a strong impact, and over time this could easily explain large shifts in her public persona.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2014, 13:45 »

That could be an interesting hint, especially with a character slowly evolving and maturing out of that, though rather hard to implement. Or, more precisely, hard to find just the right opportunity.

Where the hell is Caellach when we need him ?

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, still open to suggestions though !

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2014, 14:02 »

I found something I eventually I think...