Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Faster than Light Communication is regulated by CONCORD? Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Character]Veikitamo Gesakaarin  (Read 2453 times)

AOkazon

• Wetgraver
  • 'zis is going to be ze awezome.
Re: [Character]Veikitamo Gesakaarin
« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2013, 06:04 »

Veik is cool. I admit I haven't really seen a lot of evidence for space nazidom in public, but that's just that -- I've never really interacted with her otherwise, and it'd be pretty awkward.

So you may actually be underdoing it, depending on how you want the broader public to see her. ;) It's pretty hard to share a stage with Diana Kim, though.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2013, 06:54 »

Veik is cool. I admit I haven't really seen a lot of evidence for space nazidom in public, but that's just that -- I've never really interacted with her otherwise, and it'd be pretty awkward.

Nah, I think it's more a case of more or less being on cruise control with Veik while watching the HethDerp resolve itself. Right now though, I think it seems at times that ten different characters/people end up with ten different views and impressions. Which given her archetype is some kind of Caldari corporate executive is probably right, given it's as close as it gets to being a politician in the State.

However, being a corporate executive in the State also means to me with warm ideals, because they get rapidly abandoned to be replaced by a deep sense of cynicism and pragmatism in order to succeed in the sort of highly competitive knife-fighting you need to be good at to survive in that environment. In order for her to feel natural to me then, she has to be true to that, and that means she's never going to trust or be friendly with anyone except those she deems to be close associates or family -- everyone else is just the competition, never to be trusted except under certain scenarios.

And it's that deeply rooted cynicism which can cause a tendency to deploy high levels of vitriol, sarcasm, contempt, denigration, humiliation, invective, or just good old sardonic dismissals to people she holds to be beneath her -- and looking at the IGS or Summit through Veik's eyes usually tends to garner the image to me of her looking into the Monolith and remarking, "My God it's full of retards," -- is what I've kept a lid on the past few months.

It has very little to me about writing some kind of in-game manifestations of Mein Kampf or Anders Breivik's political manifestos with jackboots and a Caldari spin on it to get some shock value playing the lolspacenazi cards. It's an acceptance that Veik was raised to be a ruthless corporatist and capitalist. That means she often has to be a dick to people. Because to Veik if you're unwilling to be a dick and fuck other people with it in order to win, so the people you serve and who rely on you to bring home the bacon get to eat it then you're not doing your duty and your job.

Something like that.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2013, 08:26 »

Admittedly, whilst I think much of this might look like fishing for compliments or whatever, the initial intent was to gauge if people found Veik either difficult or unsatisfying to engage with. I won't lie, she's probably a deeply loathed and despised individual outside her clique, and my worry was to try and determine ways I might try to tone her down so as not to grate too greatly on others since I'm nice like that or something.

However, it's become a bit of a moot point since I've decided to greatly limit the degree of interaction with the character outside of her current corporation/alliance. It's just so much simpler to assume hostility or antagonism with anyone else that is not on what she believes to be her side of the line. Thus I can begin lifting a lot of the artificial restrictions and impositions I placed on the character to try and pursue, "Being likeable," and instead enjoy myself by walking down the darker paths I want to explore with Veik, which feel more natural, since her being likeable is no longer a concern for me at present.

I rather like the character, it's refreshing to see characters that embrace their faction mindset at 200% at times. She is honest about it and it works.

Can sometimes repel people with the heavy corporate speach, but that's the flavour somehow. Like heavy gallente politics can rebuke, or amarrian theology, etc... So that's good.

She comes a lot less aggressive than many of her peers I think.

And yes, playing an intellectual or wise character (and being decent at it) can often end up in yourself thinking omagad i'm surrounded by retards. That's where you start to notice that your character bleeds over yourself.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2013, 08:48 »

And yes, playing an intellectual or wise character (and being decent at it) can often end up in yourself thinking omagad i'm surrounded by retards. That's where you start to notice that your character bleeds over yourself.

I try not to make judgements on players for in-character views and perceptions. The reverse also holds true for me, though.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2013, 14:28 »

Sorry, my post wasn't clear enough. I meant the characters or more generally the derpy summit situations all around, not the players behind....
Pages: 1 [2]