Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the ISHAEKA Reports warned about the Sansha Nation Incursions possiblily occuring.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Shamanism (of the Matari) and it's relation to Mysticism  (Read 8655 times)

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
Re: Shamanism (of the Matari) and it's relation to Mysticism
« Reply #45 on: 11 Jul 2012, 00:20 »

Seri, the mantra here is "Tribal != Primitive".

I think it should be pretty damned obvious to people that just because the Minmatar use a tribal social system, they're not (as a general rule) primitives - in-fact heralding some of the most creative thinkers of the cluster, and despite their relative youth as a Republic spearheading a fierce war-machine and presence as a political entity.

I think that a lot of people fall into that trap. As far as Hatele's clan goes, yes, for the most part they were impoverished and in many ways were 'primitive tribals'. However, I'm mindful of how I planned that out, there's a strong juxtapose with technology there and I was careful about how Hatele's story fit in with EVE.

Lately I've been going out of my way to point just that mantra out, but I fear it's not sticking.

@Arnulf: That's a pretty succinct description of my vague beliefs, yes.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
Re: Shamanism (of the Matari) and it's relation to Mysticism
« Reply #46 on: 11 Jul 2012, 13:34 »

Arnulf, I think it's a reasonable thing to believe about Minmatar shamanism, and there should be people around who believe that.

If you haven't already, you might find it interesting to have a look at animism, pantheism, and maybe even panentheism. The early parts of the (long) Wikipedia article on shamanism are helpful, too.

Taoism's actually an interesting model to examine for ideas, and not one I'd considered in that light. One of the traditions it most likely drew from is the South-Chinese wu shamanism. I also like the idea of seeing how a tradition that included practices to extend life, ideally to the point of immortality, might deal with pod-pilot "cloning". I think there could be some fragmentation and fruitful angst there.

On looking through those links I see the article on pantheism has the following image, referenced as the symbol of the World Pantheist Movement:

Looks kinda familiar doesn't it?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]