Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Saxon Hawke's son Ravi died in a drug-related hovercar crash that had connections to the Serpentis "Aenebra" cult? Read more about it here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: World War Z  (Read 2346 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: World War Z
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2013, 13:40 »

Silas identifies my problem with the book as well; as I commented on another review, while I am not expecting a shaped-charge anti-tank missile or high-velocity subcaliber round to be effective against Zs, after a while of every single weapon built after 1980 being dismissed as useless it feels more like an author filibuster on modern politics and warfare than a coherent story - especially when a huge number of senior military officers seem to have caught the dumb for the first half of the book.

Yup. But it's more fun if the zombies are menacing!

Not that it would ever be 'real' but you might have more success varying the 'rules' of transmission or combining the Z's with other events that render things more difficult.

If the 'zombie virus' were say, aerosalized and weaponized, shit gets much harder. 

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jun 2013, 15:36 »

I find it odd that modern armies with thousands of trained soldiers and weaponry are easily overrun but a blind, old Asian man with a stick does fine.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jun 2013, 15:59 »

I find it odd that modern armies with thousands of trained soldiers and weaponry are easily overrun but a blind, old Asian man with a stick does fine.

Never doubt the old blind Asian man.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #18 on: 24 Jun 2013, 17:34 »

Regarding the whole "zombies shouldn't be able to overwhelm armies" thought, I'd argue that it's plausible as described in the book due to two things:

1) The exponential growth function that governs the spread of any zombies means that after a certain point, their numbers would swell to the point that it would challenge the ability of a military to confront them directly.  I know in the US, the government is always worried about causing a panic, always wanting to show that it's "in control", and willing to try and sweep festering issues under the rug so that the ones in power won't be ousted in the next election.  If covert containment methods were showing signs of success, and you were a delegate to Congress, would you want to stake your political career on mobilizing the country for war against an enemy that shouldn't exist?  As such, I can see the initially slow spread not being seen as "a threat", until it reaches a critical point.

2) Even if an army was able to confront them directly, the logistical backbone that feeds, re-arms, maintains, and takes care of that army is extremely susceptible to attacks.  Even if they were protected, the consumables they transport and utilize are produced in large part by civilians... who were likely either delicious meatsnacks for the G's or have been turned into one of them.  A sustained operation against an omnipresent enemy requires time, energy, and experience, all of which would be lacking.

My zombie fanatic friend has boycotted the film based on the trailers.  Not read the book myself, but by his account, they removed a lot of the basic details of how the zombies worked in favour of silly overdone nonsense.

Eh, it wasn't that bad.  I'm a pretty hardcore fan of the book, as well as the survival guide, and had the same concerns going in, but they addressed it alright.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2013, 17:38 by Sakura Nihil »

Kasuko

• Wetgraver
  • Impunetrable
« Reply #19 on: 24 Jun 2013, 17:40 »

Never doubt the old blind Asian man.

Nevar question Uncle! Dx

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jun 2013, 17:51 »

Yes, I was referring to Western world and its civilization falling pretty fast if logistics of food and water supply would fall down.

There seems to be a lot of referencing to the American military and its headcount, most of those that are part of the military are part of the logistics, also a lot of them are abroad, which means in the case of an outbreak they would be very far away from home (logistics wise which makes them even more vulnerable) which would affect severely their capability to protect the civilian population.

With the States, if you have about 250k military personnel and over 360million civilians, the math against the military is pretty bad in any given scenario. Especially since you need the infrastructure of those civilians to keep the whole military complex functional.

So, no, any kind of fast outbreak would be quite impossible to contain with the manpower available.

You can't trust the law enforcement with keeping the peace when the shit hits the fan, also National Guard would have to make their way through the contested roads to their base to get armed and be part of the military force countering the Zs.

I think the idea behind the World War Z is that the outbreak is phenomenally fast and there is no real time to react to it before panic sets in.

Also there is a certain problem with the new age of information technology.

Nobody listens to radio anymore, there would be a part of the population that would never get the information of the outbreak, nor would they get information about how to behave and whatnot.
Very few of the computer savvy folk use the television anymore, same problem.

They would head to work quite oblivious, Shaun of the Dead style, and wind up as Z meat.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Vikarion

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jun 2013, 19:17 »

I actually go even further, and have trouble seeing a zombie outbreak really getting a foothold in the U.S. at all. Given the amount of guns per capita, and given the rather over-eager attitude many Americans have towards using them, I suspect that being a zombie in any particular area of the United States would be a rather dangerous occupation.

That said, I love zombie stuffs, and will watch this movie.

Shiori

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jun 2013, 02:21 »

I actually go even further, and have trouble seeing a zombie outbreak really getting a foothold in the U.S. at all. Given the amount of guns per capita, and given the rather over-eager attitude many Americans have towards using them, I suspect that being a zombie in any particular area of the United States would be a rather dangerous occupation.

Olbig. XKCD: http://xkcd.com/734/

Vikarion

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jun 2013, 02:49 »

Olbig. XKCD: http://xkcd.com/734/

Pretty much.

Granted, I was raised in a...less urban area, shall we say, and I have noted that many Americans seem a bit "soft", if I might be so bold. When you've butchered animals for the night's BBQ, and attacked (with axe, gun, and etc) various wild animals attempting to prey on your livestock, killing a zombie is, maybe, somewhat less of a hurdle.

But then, I remember that quite a few urban dwellers have no problem killing each other all the time. So, you know...

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2013, 03:20 »

I've seen a suburban housewife grab another woman's head and slam it into concrete pillar so she could some freaking doll for a Christmas present. (There was a crowd of moms attempting to get said dolls.)

I think urban dwellers are soft but that's never kept them from being vicious.

I expect that if a zombie outbreak ever happens, the real problem won't be the zombies but the other humans grabbing guns and going into crazy survivalist mode.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 25 Jun 2013, 04:04 »

So the law and the military would be fighting looters and local warlords on top of the Zs.

Sounds even better.

Also the fact that you have an automatic whatever, does not mean that you can consistently headshot a horde of Zs with it. What about when you have to reload, that is when they are going to get you.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jun 2013, 04:14 »

Just go full incendiary and thermobaric on them.
Pages: 1 [2]