Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Vitoc is the antidote to a deadly toxin, not the poison itself?  For more information see Vitoc.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rediscovering the creative spark  (Read 3788 times)

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
Re: Rediscovering the creative spark
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2012, 01:28 »

I'm of the Chuck Wendig school myself. Waiting for your muse, seeking inspiration and all that jazz... is for weaklings and the rest of the word who does not get to call themselves writers. Hell, I don't get to call myself a writer by any stretch of the world. If you're a writer, then you write. Writer's block or not, you sit down and you -write-. For hours. Five thousand words a day, no question or objection. Just get it done. Keep it up until you've written your book/whatever, then you can go back and do the first edit, the second edit and so on. If it turns out to be shit, just grab the knife and start carving whatever useful bits and pieces you can off the carcass and keep writing.

There is no excuse, there is no way around it. Anything less and you are NOT A WRITER.
Which is cool, of course. I actually doubt we have any writers on these forums.

Edit: Derp, typo.

If you want to be the person who dies of stress, progressively destroys his reputation by forcing out more work that will inevitably be reduced in quality due to the pressure you put yourself under sure go for it!

I personally think, that even for a professional writer that's a stupid thing to do, however like you I highly doubt there are any who do work full time as a writer, creatively anyway.

Some people have the innate ability to simply dream worlds, stories and ideas continuously and these people are the ones who make a killing by doing so.
But if you cannot create these ideas like that. The ones that actually capture peoples imagination then why force yourself to produce crap for days/weeks on end? Its not likely to do anything but compound that issue.

So, I do not agree with you Mizhara in anyway shape or form regarding your last post.

As for regaining the creative spark, I find that the only times I have been truly driven to create stories and have that 'spark' is when I have been properly relaxed and have the time to let my mind wander and just imagine as I have never been able to forcibly create something without that random thought that falls into place.

And the only times I get those random creative thoughts is when I am relaxed, have nothing else on my mind and I am not driving myself to find it, so most of the issue is actually getting to that state of mind where I actually am not continuously looking for an excuse to pulverise some poor soul who annoys me (I love University -_-)

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2012, 02:30 »

I'm somewhere in the middle here: writing involves actually writing, deadlines are useful things and provide important stimulus for creativity, and interspersing writing with housework or exercise while thinking about how you'll develop things kills multiple birds simultaneously.

I'm reminded of the words of one of Terry Pratchett's witches:

Quote from: Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men
“Witches are naturally nosy,” said Miss Tick, standing up. “Well, I must go. I hope we shall meet again. I will give you some free advice, though.”
“Will it cost me anything?”
“What? I just said it was free!” said Miss Tick.
“Yes, but my father said that free advice often turns out to be expensive,” said Tiffany.
Miss Tick sniffed. “You could say this advice is priceless,” she said, “Are you listening?”
“Yes,” said Tiffany.
“Good. Now...if you trust in yourself...”
“Yes?”
“...and believe in your dreams...”
“Yes?”
“...and follow your star...” Miss Tick went on.
“Yes?”
“...you’ll still be beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy. Goodbye.”

Faraelle Brightman

• Clonejack
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jun 2012, 07:16 »

While I don't advocate it as actual advice, I have this taped to my monitor for a reason

I do advocate this as actual advice (tying in with Mathra): http://vimeo.com/18913413 - as a bonus, it's a talk delivered by John Cleese.

That said, you do still have to be actually taking steps to progress for any of this to take - it won't magically happen. I'm in the position right now where work and school take most of my mental energy, and so I'm not actively practicing anything I suggest at the moment.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2012, 07:22 by Faraelle Brightman »

Luya Oknor

• Clonejack
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2012, 09:31 »

My pointers.

Back in March, I had begun to write a Legend of the Five Rings story (one that is actually still going and is probably going to eventually be my longest story based on a game yet). Part of the ways through March some rather bad things happened in my life, and I ended up in a state of depression. A few things eventually happened. For one, I started exercising more, and eating a lot more vegetables. This itself made me feel much, MUCH better. Apple a day keeps the Doctor away. And maybe go on a jog, it gets the body revved up and pumped for the day.

The second thing I did to get back into writing, was movies and television. This was a Legend of the Five Rings story, so I just figured, "Hm, perhaps if I get myself into the mood, it will be easier!" So I did just that. I turned to Netflix, and watched Twilight Samurai, 13 Assassins, Seven Samurai, all that, and it became a lot easier. So, what you probably need is some inspiration, and to get into the mood.

Read lots of science-fiction, watch sci-fi movies. They'll fill your mind with more ideas than you can deal with, and it will all be flowing out like water. Research cyberpunk and other science-fiction subgenres, too, as I've noticed there are many elements of cyberpunk in Eve. That's my two cents. Good luck and may the force be with you.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2012, 09:33 by Luya Oknor »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 01 Jul 2012, 09:24 »

There is no excuse, there is no way around it. Anything less and you are NOT A WRITER.

Draconian as always, Miz.

Funny thing: in large part, Stephen King would agree with you. He churns out about that many words a day, though he recommends beginners start with the more-manageable 3000.

That's except for the bit about writer's block. You may have read The Stand? He got a bad case of it about halfway through that, where he had his "good guys" assembled in one area and his "bad guys" assembled in another, and just could not work out a good way to get the conflict rolling. It took him two months to break past it, and he did that by blowing half of his characters up.

John Gardner, on the other hand, whose work I admire much more than King's (more artist, less artisan), approached  his work chronologically. I believe his standard was three hours every day, whether you get anything down on paper or not. His approach to writer's block was typically to use that allotted time to try and figure out what had caused it, which, in one case he discussed, boiled down to something as simple as whether a character accepted or refused an hors d'oeuvre.

Sadly, I have to talk about Gardner in past tense. Motorcycle accidents are bad for you.

I made a go at being a writer at one point-- spent a few years at it, before figuring out that I wasn't much good. I might take another crack at it in my forties or fifties. Age and inevitable life experience do good things for craft.

We'll see.
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2012, 09:28 by Aria Jenneth »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #20 on: 01 Jul 2012, 09:48 »

Yes, a set amount of time each day can replace a wordcount a day as long as you are 100% certain you can focus on the task at hand even without a tangible result at the end of the day. As for Draconian, sure, but it works. More to the point, the word 'writer' is massively over-used these days. Every stay-at-home mom and fuckwit fanfic hack is a 'writer'. "Oh you're a writer? Yeah me too! What I've written lately? Oh I haven't written for (insert time period here), I'm waiting FOR MY MUSE!" and that kind of shit.

Writers, particularly those who do it for a living, need to treat it like the job it is. Something that requires focus, effort and time.

Sure, doing it the right way means that you might spend a week pumping out almost nothing but sewage but that's okay. That's why it's a first, second or third draft. If it's not golden, just get out the carving knife and start slaughtering the fatted calf. You'll end up with some great little bits of meat that you can use when you rewrite the thing.

It's why I'm not writing myself. I don't have the requisite focus and desire to spend that much effort on it, not to mention me lacking the skills to wrestle neither my native nor this language into submission properly. In short, I'm no writer. I just churn out the odd bit of fiction every once in a while.

Edit: It's the same shit as with journalism, to be honest. Every bastard with a blog and a soapbox is somehow a fucking journalist these days. NO YOU ARE NOT! You're an asshole with a webcam and a braintumor that makes you think you matter! Social media is a fantastic thing for spreading news as they happen and to spread awareness of things. That does -not- make it fuckin' journalism. You are not a god damn reporter because you are uploading shaky and blurry smartphone footage looking like the latest Michael Bay flick, seriously.

I can't believe I have to get angry about this shit.
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2012, 09:56 by Mizhara »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 01 Jul 2012, 14:06 »

Yeah, I can't believe it either.

Anyway, who is a journalist these days.... ? :roll:

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #22 on: 04 Jul 2012, 05:14 »

Anything less and you are NOT A WRITER.

J. D. Salinger: Not a writer.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #23 on: 04 Jul 2012, 05:28 »

Anything less and you are NOT A WRITER.

J. D. Salinger: Not a writer.

The man known to write in a disciplined manner (a few hours each morning) while living with Joyce Maynard? Doesn't fall under "anything less."

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 04 Jul 2012, 17:16 »

Pratchett and Gaiman both have a journalism background and they both say that it has been invaluable for the work ethic.

When you have to churn out a wordcount for a living, you kind of learn how to do it.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody in this thread has offered substance abuse as a way of getting your creative juices flowing. When I'm hung over the ideas are abound, the problem is that I know a handful of old friends that were that kind of 'writers' and after doing it for 15-20 years, they are either in the loony bin or full time alcoholics.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Faraelle Brightman

• Clonejack
« Reply #25 on: 05 Jul 2012, 04:18 »

Well there has been research documenting that all those drunk writers weren't too far wrong, but I don't think anyone is actually prepared to offer it as a serious recommendation.  :eek:

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #26 on: 18 Jul 2012, 16:03 »

I took all the drugs in my youth. In my experience, you're too busy having a good time to get any actual work done. ;)
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jul 2012, 16:59 »

I read The War of Art. I enjoyed it, despite the author's somewhat odd idiosyncrasies. Like an apparent literal belief in angels. Notwithstanding the supernatural elements, the ideas worked perfectly well as metaphors. The book was helpful in provoking some new avenues of thought, and I identified with a lot of it. Thanks, Misan! :)

Now, I've seen quite a few people talk about writing every day, and writing x words every day. All that stuff is about forming habits, no more, no less. I don't think that you are any less of a writer if you don't form the same habits as a number of prolific and successful authors. As long as you have habits that work for and get the written words decanted from your head. I also acknowledge the 10,000 hour rule: you need to put your time in to truly master any craft. A regular writing habit would go a long way in climbing that particular mountain.

In all honesty, sitting down and writing 5,000 words a day is only realistic if you are a full time writer. Personally, I have a full time job that takes up twelve hours a day a home life and even sometimes a social life. I also need downtime doing stuff that isn't work or work-like. I have never met anyone that is creative after a 12 hour shift. :P

What I've decided is that I need to deliberately carve out some fairly regular time without internet, games, fiancée and domestic chores. I thought back to the habits that I used to have, and I realised that I did most writing on my (now mostly defunct) laptop when I had a quiet hour on the late shift at work or when I was in bed. I picked up a cheap netbook to fill that gap, and immediately felt the benefit whilst working away from home and had nothing better to do in my hotel room of an evening. I think that you sometimes have to deliberately create an environment, and that's something I maybe need to tackle at home.

I also realised that the legacy of unfinished Eve fiction results in a kind of mental sludge that needs to be drained. As soon as I resolved to try and finish off some of the Eve bits and pieces to clear the mental decks, things kicked back into life. (I also discovered that I had somehow lost 30k words of a novel I had started but never finished, which didn't make me feel as angry or sad as I would have expected).

I feel much better for having started at the very least.

Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction
Pages: 1 [2]