Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That in Norse mythology, the "Naglfar" was a ship built from the toenail and fingernail clippings of the dead?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 3967 times)

Vlad Cetes

• Rick Rollermeister
  • Wetgraver
World of Tanks
« on: 01 Oct 2010, 08:12 »

Any other EVE bitter vets play this?

I've got a Panzer III atm and am working on the Panther line. Hope to get a Tiger after Panther.

Indahar

• Stare Dad
  • Clonejack
Re: World of Tanks
« Reply #1 on: 01 Oct 2010, 08:22 »

Love this game, it's so entertaining. I have a Baby Panther (VK 3002DB) which I plan to move up from soon, and I'm working my way up the Russian IS and T-44 lines. I also have a Panzerjager for making tons of cash in rookie battles. Between all these tanks that I can use sequentially in battles, I think I've made a pretty good nest of credits for myself.

My username is Broreale. Contact me sometime if you want to form a platoon.
Taylor Swift is My Goddess

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2010, 13:40 »

I know nothing of this game.....

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 01 Oct 2010, 13:52 »

One of the old AFC folk mentioned it recently. I hear it's the dog's bollocks.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #4 on: 01 Oct 2010, 16:22 »

What does that even mean?

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 04 Oct 2010, 14:20 »

I play, as "Blindee"

The T-34 is loads of fun, and makes lots of money (it's cheap to fix)

But I'm mostly concentrating on the Medium tanks, I currently have a VK3601H, VK3001H and VK3001P

The 3601 is a mini tiger, and not too bad. the 3001H is not as tough, but a bit faster, and you can still put the 75mm L70 on it. You can also put the 88mm L58 on it. Does more damage, but loads slower, isn't as accurate and bounces more. I think the L70 gives me more DPS.

I got the 3001P yesterday, and without upgrades, it's a dog.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 04 Oct 2010, 14:45 »

Tag name "Windbreaker". Currently getting my ass handed to me (repeatedly) in an A-20. Figure once I slap the 76mm gun and a better engine on the thing I'll be a lot harder to hit and pack a nastier punch to boot.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #8 on: 04 Oct 2010, 15:02 »

<looks at screenshots.>

<looks at game info.>

<looks back at screenshots.>

There's no way this is free, or there's no way its got graphics as good as what the screenshots say. Someone's lying to me.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 04 Oct 2010, 15:36 »

Senn, it's currently in closed Beta. That means they're only letting people on who ask nicely or can get an invite through something like shattered crystal (which is free).

After release, everything should be available free, but if you buy the "premium service" you get experience and silver money at double the rate.

You earn silver from fights, for doing damage and spotting enemies and capturing flags.

During Beta, they're giving away "gold" at the rate of 150 per day. It costs 2500 gold for a month's premium (or 250 per day).

After go-live I think gold will be purchasable.

Some of the higher level tanks are so expensive to fix that you can't really make money with them if you lose them in a fight (which for me happens about 75% of the time) unless (and this is the important bit) you're on a premium account.

So, without premium, you can still drive a king tiger, but everytime you get exploded, you may have to grind several fights in a T-34 or other cheap ship, I mean tank, until you can afford to fix your king tiger.

Oh, and apparently the Russian heavy tanks are better than the German ones (partly because the Russian heavies go through to the 1950s and the German ones stop around 1945 for some reason)

Long pause

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
« Reply #10 on: 04 Oct 2010, 17:19 »

I also fully support and endorse this product.

Great fun for quick fights and 'splosions.

DexKivuli in game ... ok, so I'm not very inventive when it comes to naming.

Indahar

• Stare Dad
  • Clonejack
« Reply #11 on: 04 Oct 2010, 18:38 »

I play, as "Blindee"

The T-34 is loads of fun, and makes lots of money (it's cheap to fix)

But I'm mostly concentrating on the Medium tanks, I currently have a VK3601H, VK3001H and VK3001P

The 3601 is a mini tiger, and not too bad. the 3001H is not as tough, but a bit faster, and you can still put the 75mm L70 on it. You can also put the 88mm L58 on it. Does more damage, but loads slower, isn't as accurate and bounces more. I think the L70 gives me more DPS.

I got the 3001P yesterday, and without upgrades, it's a dog.

3001P is much better upgraded. And once you get the 3002DB, it's like playing a T-44, almost. Emphasis on almost.

A word of advice for everyone starting new: it's usually best for you to upgrade your tracks and engine first. In WoT, mobility > firepower > armor, at least from my experience. This even applies to heavy tanks, as getting your frontal armor to face the enemy 0.5 seconds faster can determine whether you'll have a massive repair bill at the end of the match or not.
Taylor Swift is My Goddess

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #12 on: 04 Oct 2010, 21:56 »

As long as there's an identifiable catch. I get paranoid when a product looks really good and asks too little in return.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 04 Oct 2010, 21:59 »

I forgot to mention that, since it's in beta, when it finally goes live, all the beta-testers grinding to high-end tanks will be blown away, leaving only the "beta tester" tag on the forums as a badge of honour. They'll have to start again with the crappy pre-war tanks like all the paying customers.
Long pause

Vikarion

« Reply #14 on: 05 Oct 2010, 01:21 »

I love this game. LOVE IT.

Well, when I've been able to play it.

Also, Artillery is OP.
Pages: [1] 2