General Discussion > The Speakeasy: OOG/Off-topic Discussion

Employee Discounts

(1/2) > >>

Zuzanna Alondra:
I love my marketing class - we find all sorts of treasures.

The discussion of Wal-mart came up today and we found this 45 second video clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JEEuU0luvM

Thought it was a fun food for thought -
Post your 2 isk folks.

Benjamin Shepherd:
Hah, saw that film.

Walmart is one of those corporations that just doesn't care. Morally and ethically, they aren't on par with what should be the standard (IMO), and to those who only care about profit, their salaries for employees are horrible. Essentially, you get paid for working, then you spend it all on Walmart products because you're too poor to get anything else.

Makes \perfect\ sense.

Havohej:
Or you spend it all on.. I dunno, schooling, like I am.

Thank you for shopping Wal-Mart (I'm an employee).  Like any megacorporation, there's the aspect of corporate greed but the store I work at is run pretty well and our introduction to corporate policy stuff in the 2-day orientation painted a picture of a place I wouldn't mind working at for quite some time.

Zuzanna Alondra:
I personally shop at Wal*mart on purpose to visit my aunt who has a very healthy good job there.

But also I know a marketing things they do that are sheer brilliance, but questionable in the ethics of them.  One example is claiming they are going green - but only doing so in ways that save them money - if it doesn't save them money... are they really going green?

It was an amusing debate in class today.

Myrhial Arkenath:

--- Quote from: Zuzanna Alondra on 26 May 2010, 22:30 ---But also I know a marketing things they do that are sheer brilliance, but questionable in the ethics of them.  One example is claiming they are going green - but only doing so in ways that save them money - if it doesn't save them money... are they really going green?

--- End quote ---

Makes sense to me if you are going green you start with what won't hurt you as a company. Question is however if later on you will use the profits made there to cover for the areas where it would cause a loss.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version