Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Achura has been part of the State for three centuries? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shit patch is shit  (Read 3161 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Shit patch is shit
« on: 28 Nov 2013, 13:49 »

Anyone else getting tired of new patches breaking your games?  My luancher barely works, these auto patches constantly fail, I can barely get the game running now.  :bash:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Shit patch is shit
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2013, 14:01 »

This has been the worst update since Trinity. For chrissake.

Druur Monakh

• Wetgraver
    • Hazardous Goods
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2013, 16:59 »

What happened exactly?

I have noticed that if the client shows you the 'need to upgrade' dialog after you clicked 'play', ie. inside the regular game client window, you need to quit the launcher before proceeding. It's annoying, but happens seldom enough that I can live with it.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2013, 19:05 »

After Rubicon launch the launcher crashed about 75% of the time.

The automatic patch downloads  have nuked the game, repair tool not working, etc.  had to download entire client for a fresh reinstall.... seems ok now but it's just been annoying.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2013, 19:31 »

I've been having a large number of socket disconnects.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2013, 21:49 »

Odd; aside from a large number of 6mb troll patches every day - which happened before Odyssey anyhow - I've not been having any particular problems.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2013, 22:11 »

Odd; aside from a large number of 6mb troll patches every day - which happened before Odyssey anyhow - I've not been having any particular problems.

Those are not troll patches. If you're seeing that, you're trying to start the client directly rather than going through the launcher. We've been having legit patches every couple of days to get stuff that didn't make it into the release or to add new features. See the patch notes.

Aside from the derpery where they broke the launcher on patch day, for which a workaround was VERY quickly provided, I've had no issues at all.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2013, 22:59 »

I've been noticing the onset of random memory leaks from time to time since I patched into Rubicon.

Oh well, at least it's not a boot.ini

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2013, 23:19 »

Not had any problems or disconnects here, guess I'm lucky vOv

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2013, 10:18 »

Nothing odd here, not even on the shitty laptop.

Do need to close/reopen launcher though after cluster reboots and some other odd mark of time.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2013, 11:45 »

Those are not troll patches. If you're seeing that, you're trying to start the client directly rather than going through the launcher. We've been having legit patches every couple of days to get stuff that didn't make it into the release or to add new features. See the patch notes.

Aside from the derpery where they broke the launcher on patch day, for which a workaround was VERY quickly provided, I've had no issues at all.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I know; I refer to them as 'troll patches' because CCP for some reason feels the need to deploy one every single day instead of just saving them up for a once-every-few-days or once-a-week larger patch.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2013, 14:21 »

It's called agile development, and it's not a new concept within CCP.

Yes the volume of patches has increased, but that is a positive, not a negative. Less strain on bandwidth is a good thing when it comes to rolling these things out, and since they are all in small packages it's very easy to roll back to the previous day if something goes awry.

Much better than their old approach of block releasing and then not being able to remember how their codebase even works.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2013, 15:13 »

It said socket closed, and now I can't get into game. Log in, select character, get black screen, get "socket closed".

launcher doesn't even start now. Says it's in offline mode, that the server is unreachable

eve forums/eve main site also unusable.

API also unusable.

Can connect with one character, but not another. Therefore, it's not a problem on anything that I can do anything about.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2013, 16:01 by Louella Dougans »
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 29 Nov 2013, 18:16 »

It's called agile development, and it's not a new concept within CCP.

Yes the volume of patches has increased, but that is a positive, not a negative. Less strain on bandwidth is a good thing when it comes to rolling these things out, and since they are all in small packages it's very easy to roll back to the previous day if something goes awry.

Much better than their old approach of block releasing and then not being able to remember how their codebase even works.

It's not harder the slightest to roll back to an older version, no matter how heavy a patch was... If the older version worked fine, you roll back to it, there is no reason it should not work fine again...

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #14 on: 29 Nov 2013, 18:37 »

It's not harder the slightest to roll back to an older version, no matter how heavy a patch was... If the older version worked fine, you roll back to it, there is no reason it should not work fine again...

You have two options:

1. Roll back a large production patch which changed a large amount of things in order to fix what is broken.
2. Roll back a small production patch which changed a small amount of things in order to fix what is broken.

Which is better?
Pages: [1] 2