Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 1st Praetorian Guard is an Amarrian Imperial Navy-affiliated Special Operations unit? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: EVE: Anime or Live-Action?  (Read 3568 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
EVE: Anime or Live-Action?
« on: 24 Sep 2012, 11:57 »

While I feel it would be quite good to have a live-action series made, something with real drama and weight akin to most of the series on HBO, I think there would be obvious budgetary issues.  A movie seems a bad idea as way too much plot to jam into two hours to do any of the story justice.  Also Hollywood tends to take something interesting and put it through a meat-grinder of mass-market appeal, and tend to blunt the story and uniqueness in favor of hitting that wide audience.

I'd vote for something along the lines of an animated miniseries, say ten episodes.  Pick a few 'representative' archetypes to follow on an interlocking plot line that give us a tour of some of the major EVE themes and sights along the way.

I'd also consider the plot 'not' following a 'capsuleer' or at least not having the main protagonist be one, at least until a few episodes in, and then use some of that transition for a drama springboard (the alienation from baseliners perhaps, the new temptations awaiting, etc). 

I nominate the Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex crew to handle the animation.  They have the super talent for exciting action animation, and amazing mechanical designers that might be great for all of the pod-interphase work, etc.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
Re: EVE: Anime or Live-Action?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2012, 12:15 »

So long as the humans actually looked human, and not like flowery anime characters, I'd weigh in favor of animation here.

I nominate the artists behind Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade for the art style, though the animation quality is about par for anime.

edit; youtube link
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2012, 12:17 by Safai »

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2012, 12:20 »

CGI-Animation. CCP should be able to do pretty nice space battles with what they have already - so you'd only have to spend on the character and indoors animation.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2012, 12:34 »

If EVE related stuff would be animated I would like it to be done in the Don Bluth style of animation (as seen in the Secret of NIMH and Titan A.E.) the problem is that it has already been done to sci-fi franchise that has its story lines and back story much better together than EVE does.

I'm referring to Deadspace.

Yes, its pretty much a different take on the Alien series (the expanded universe) but it seriously has its shit together kazillion times better than CCP can ever hope for.
Even when it comes to visual style and the level of technology in the civilization in general CCP seems to be way behind with even the most rudimentary anime.

Hell, even Doom series has a better grasp on that stuff than CCP does.

But anyhoos, all the Jove/Enheduanni/Sleepers/Ancient civilizations stuff in the EVE PF point to the direction that the content folk has been influenced by Babylon 5.

Which would as a concept seem like a quite nice idea in New Eden.

A frontier outpost somewhere in low-sec where all kinds of different folk come around for shenannigans.

You could even have a stable wormhole near it, so that the outpost would suddenly become important in the the cluster.

No wait, that was Deep Space Nine.

Maybe it should be something original that is in the EVE universe, like the emergence of infomorphs.

No wait, that has been dealt with in the Culture.

Maybe it should be about the destruction of EVE gate and the surviving colonists trying to find a planet that would be their perfect home world.

No wait, that was Galactica.

Maybe it should be a ragtag team of smugglers avoiding CONCORD and the custom officials of the Empires in the outer reaches of humanity.

No wait, that's Firefly.

Perhaps the story should be somehow gritty and grimdark, about some technology that is useful but can be dangerous when not controlled. Perhaps the story should revolve around something like that.

No wait, that's Blade Runner.

Maybe the story could follow a bunch of rebels that try to take down an evil Empire that is oppressing most of the population of the cluster.

No wait, that's the original Trilogy.

Shit, I'm drawing a blank here, for some reason it seems to me that all that I can relate to EVE is series of old sci-fi tropes that has been haphazardly thrown together.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2012, 12:52 »

Titan AE has some great animations yeah, as does deadspace, that style is pretty good.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2012, 12:53 »

It should be an anime, about a capsuleer who performs the most bloody and perturbed heist for the glory of his own self.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2012, 19:47 »

It should be an anime, about a capsuleer who performs the most bloody and perturbed heist for the glory of his own self.

You want an anime about Isty?

Don't think his ego would be able to cope with that...

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2012, 20:22 »

There's the Clear Skies trilogy.

I'd love to see more from that crew.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2012, 21:22 »

Pshaw, hardly a novelty to me. I've already appeared in anime:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2012, 21:53 »

What. The hell. Did I just read.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2012, 23:34 »

Relic from the bygone ages of amarrsucks(tm)/RavenPWN's(tm).

I'm so glad I missed most of that.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2012, 12:11 »

I think animated might be the cheaper option, and an animated mini-series a nicer option than trying to cram everything into a two hour movie.  That said, I believe any animation houses attached to the project should sign affidavits swearing they'll make nothing cute and saucer-eyed that requires voice talent to do a shrill giggly voice (unless it's a genetically engineered furrier who is neither a pet nor a sidekick but rather a genuine menace).

As for plot?   Hrm.  A random thought:

Four survivors of the first Sansha planetary incursions (Niarja, Tama, Balle and Kamela) still struggle to varying degrees with the fact they survived when so many others didn't. All were found to be capsule-compatible during exams conducted after the incursion.  All have now just graduated from the programs in their respective Empires. They've all been monitored by their governments since the incursions, this also to varying degrees. One was incarcerated.  One was institutionalized. One is terrified that he/she is a Sleeper Agent.  Another one has been aware all along that he/she is, or has just become aware of it.

All of them are expected to work for the interests of their Empires.  One joins their Empire's capsuleer militia. One goes pirate as soon as he/she gets done with the capsuleer program. One becomes an industrialist, punctuating mining stints with doing milk run hauls for his/her Empire's corporations.  The fourth one, the one who is obsessed with the idea of other survivors, becomes an independent explorer. This fourth one is the one who brings the other survivors together.

As for what kind of trouble they get into?  That's where the thought stopped. :)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2012, 12:25 »

Regarding 'saucer eyed' anime, this is why I suggested the Stand Alone Complex crew.  Adult-oriented, serious plotlines, and not 'cartoony' by any stretch of the imagination.  Highly detailed mechanical / cybernetic animation, and thoughtful action sequencing. Win.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2012, 13:00 »

I have seen some anime made after a MMO, it was Ragnarok Online, and it was horrible. Well, there were a lot of variation of Roan and Yufa names appeared in the game, but still it was horrible.

Most interesting drama can be found in character itself, and, from my point of view, most touching would be stories about antagonists that are dying, depicting some tragic events in their lives, showing them from good sides and that the fate itself moved them on the path they have chosen, and how the moment before their death they turn to be just humans with crashed dreams, not some evil beings, how they realize what they lost and how they show themselves from completely different side, that they have merits not less than heroes who won, and then they die.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 25 Sep 2012, 13:18 »

It's not really about Itsvaan in particular, its about the brutality that the Eve Universe can bring forth....

so the plot should be all these "good intention" people trying to fight back the demigod only to be defeated in the end....should be quite the anime if you ask me  :yar:
Pages: [1] 2 3