Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Faster than Light Communication is regulated by CONCORD? Read more here.

Author Topic: Mark726's EVE Lore Survival Guide  (Read 1970 times)

Seismic Stan

• Clonejack
Mark726's EVE Lore Survival Guide
« on: 14 Feb 2012, 07:01 »

As part of an ongoing crusade to broaden the appeal of EVE's backstory and encourage more subscriber interest in EVE content and fiction, I recently approached Mark726 of the EVE Travel blog and convinced him to write "an idiot's guide to EVE Lore". I hoped what he'd write would be a few short explanatory blogposts. What Mark delivered was a far more comprehensive 20,000 word document which, divided up, I think makes for tasty bite-sized introductions to the universe of New Eden.

It's still a work in progress and as the regular denizens of this forums are the authority on this kind of thing, I was hoping some of you may be able to take the time to read, pass comment and provide support.

Mark726's EVE Lore Survival Guide

A one-stop shop for all content-seekers, roleplayers and those curious about the backstory of EVE Online.

1. EVE Online: The Greatest Story Still Being Told - Foreword by Seismic Stan

2. An Introduction

3. The Empires

4. The Minor Powers

5. Technology & Miscellany

Mark and I would be grateful for any feedback you might be able to provide.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2012, 19:12 by Seismic Stan »

Publius Valerius

Re: Popularising EVE Lore: Your Input
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2012, 10:37 »

4. The Minor Powers

Thanks.

"I mentioned at the time that there were 5 royal families: the Sarums, the Kadors, the Tash-Murkons, the Ardishapurs, and the Kor-Azors. However, prior to 22762 AD, there was actually a sixth Heir family: the Khanids. "

Ehm... actually there were just 5 familys pre 23041 AD (the new split date), like you said the Khanids, but not the Tash-Murkons.

About:"Khanid remains a separate sovereignty to this day, even taking an inversion of the Amarr seal to show their independence." I like this interpretation (note to myself, to add some more infos in the Talk pages, whan I come back).

About:"The Khanid are seen as a little more progressive, however, since they need to rely on outside trade and new technological development to survive much more so than their True*** Amarr counterparts." I have actually the same view  :P ... but I would add out "little" to make it a little stronger, so that it is a interpration conflict between "modernization vs. realpolitik" or in your words: "Progressive vs. survive" is more to see.

But great work.... for the rest I have read tru it some time.

***Edit: Totally forgot... plz delete "True"... it is just Amarr, the Kingdom and the bloodline are two different things.

« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2012, 10:42 by Publius Valerius »

Seismic Stan

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2012, 07:00 »

Cheers for the feedback Publius. The text has been amended according to your advice. Thanks for that.

Seismic Stan

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2012, 20:47 »

Mark's opus is now complete and online for all to view. A PDF will be forthcoming later.

All feedback is welcome.

Desiderya

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2012, 07:03 »

A pretty good read. :)

Publius Valerius

Re: Mark726's EVE Lore Survival Guide
« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2012, 18:01 »

3. The Empires

Just small things... like:

"The last emperor, Heideran VII, lived for about 300 years." The last emperor was Doriam II.. Heideran VII was before him... so I would just add out the "last": "The emperor, Heideran VII, lived for about 300 years."

"Great religious fervor sweeps through the True Amarr as they race to conquer the infidels, eventually taking the entire planet over, under the royal Amarr seal. " I dont know if the seal even extist tru that time.... I just would take it out: "Great religious fervor sweeps through the True Amarr as they race to conquer the infidels, eventually taking the entire planet over."

About:
    Your Terran superweapon link....
    I would link it more to the vid, see here at 1:34, is the superweapon in action. This seminars actually horror wiki articles... I cant belive that something like this gets even a lead-in and the old Ally conflict portal doesnt.

About:
    "The Khanid are a bit unique in that they are their own separate pseudo-kingdom, having seceded in 22762 AD after a botched imperial secession (looked briefly at in Part 3). Still, they are fairly well-ensconced in the Empire and show no desire to leave it completely."
    Like I said before... the bloodline and Kingdom are two different things.... like I have try to show here. Whan Im back, I will try to add some comments on the Khanid talk pages... and the Amarr emperor page... and on the forum because of the ne eveonline main page... :P Being part of a minor faction can be hard sometimes... you have a lot of timeline changes.. and now... others  :( but this is another story.

About_
    "That said, Amarr also tend to be friendly towards the Caldari (apparently in an “enemy of my enemy is my friend” type approach)."
    The Amarr have also good realtions with them tru the Kingdom, because it is a mediator between the two cultures... and maybe add the CAESA.
    Maybe something like: That said, the Empire tend to be friendly towards the Caldari, even to the point the they started a stimulus agreement (CAESA) with the State. etc...
    About Roleplaying.... actually their isnt so much Bloodline roleplay on the amarr side as it is on the Minmatar side.... so I would If I was you maybe not just change the Khanid part...
    Most of the Roleplay is along the Royal houses.. in my early days... I have found in the Emprie a lot of Kador and Sarum roleplayer... actually way, way, way more roleplayers along the Houses...than Players along the Bloodlines... It has no direct meaning... it isnt like the Republic side... were your Bloodline is your tribe... etc.... (As True Amarr, Khanid, Ni-Kunni can you be a Empire, Kingdom, Mandate etc... Roleplayer)

Dont get me wrong I like the start... with that players can play along the religious-line or not.. etc.. I see it the same way.... But like I said... you will find more royal houses roleplayers or even Kingdom or Mandate roleplayers, than actuall Bloodline RPs.... but as Tip... and starting point of the article would I have let it in.

Maybe:
    Roleplaying: Like you first part Free to Choose... Second Part: Bloodlines.... Third Part: Royal Houses Fourth Part: Subfactions: Ammatar Mandate, Khanid Kingdom (both are open for all bloodlines, and the Mandate even for the Minmatar ones).

Your blog is a nice read... I will try to get to the other faction too.... but Im not an expert on them.
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: 24 Feb 2012, 18:36 by Publius Valerius »

Publius Valerius

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2012, 18:19 »

sorry double post
    « Last Edit: 24 Feb 2012, 18:34 by Publius Valerius »

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2012, 06:32 »

Before TonyG retconned everything Caldari, many of my fellow early Caldari PF affectionados felt that the Caldari learned the Megacorp concept and hyper-capitalism from Gallente.    The Caldari were just beginning the industrial era when the Gallente probe landed.   They didn't even have a telescope comparable to Galileo's (who died in 1642) since they never new they had neighbors until that day.