Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Heaven' constellation in Curse is the former location of the Third Jove Empire and the current headquarters of the vast Angel Cartel?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The Hammer Drops  (Read 10528 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: The Hammer Drops
« Reply #45 on: 28 Jan 2014, 17:13 »

I'm also not sure why spaceship wars have to be "pretty" in any way either.

If this were the case the devs wouldn't bother skinning any of the ships and we'd have a game without any graphic effects or ship models, they wouldn't ever upgrade the graphics engine, etc.  Looks matter, appearances matter.  How the ships look and interact when they shoot each other should matter, too.

Sometimes I really wish they'd hire a new senior dev that handled presentation and how the game world works visually. 

There's a million smaller effects and tiny adjustments they could be adding to this game to make it truly appear alive and immersive. 

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #46 on: 28 Jan 2014, 18:17 »

I'm also not sure why spaceship wars have to be "pretty" in any way either.

If this were the case the devs wouldn't bother skinning any of the ships and we'd have a game without any graphic effects or ship models, they wouldn't ever upgrade the graphics engine, etc.  Looks matter, appearances matter.  How the ships look and interact when they shoot each other should matter, too.

Sometimes I really wish they'd hire a new senior dev that handled presentation and how the game world works visually. 

There's a million smaller effects and tiny adjustments they could be adding to this game to make it truly appear alive and immersive.

Personally I could care less what the ships look like, the Moa looks like a mutated and deformed duck but I'll fly it because it's effective. Same with any other ship. The only complaint I really had with most spaceships in Eve is not that they're not pretty but rather that they don't have a tendency to reflect actual function. I'd much rather a ship that's aesthetics is based on looking like coming out of industrial design to build something that will kill and destroy things as a tool of war than some modern art piece with engines attached to it.

I could even play Eve if they just had a sort of "enhanced tactical overview" that would remove the "camera drone" image and turn the game into a monochrome symbol representation system for spaceships.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #47 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:41 »

I could even play Eve if they just had a sort of "enhanced tactical overview" that would remove the "camera drone" image and turn the game into a monochrome symbol representation system for spaceships.

I Want! You could add all sorts of info to the display (arrows saying how fast and what direction a ship is going) ect. You could even make it actually be pretty in its own right.

Would love that so much.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #48 on: 29 Jan 2014, 02:35 »

This needs to be a thing.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #49 on: 29 Jan 2014, 02:57 »

I've also often wondered why there isn't a strategic fleet map, where for example you could track friendly fleets on the starmap and you could have FC's and Scouts do things like pin icons to systems with, "enemy fleet spotted" or a custom waypoint with, "Assemble at this system". It seems simple enough but the ability to actually have a strategic picture to manage in real-time might make it easier to have a few separate fleets out acting in concert.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #50 on: 29 Jan 2014, 07:28 »

This needs to be a thing.

The horror.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #51 on: 29 Jan 2014, 07:30 »

I Want! You could add all sorts of info to the display (arrows saying how fast and what direction a ship is going) ect. You could even make it actually be pretty in its own right.

Would love that so much.

I'm reminded of the overhead maps from the X-Wing and TIE games.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #52 on: 29 Jan 2014, 08:13 »

I've also often wondered why there isn't a strategic fleet map, where for example you could track friendly fleets on the starmap and you could have FC's and Scouts do things like pin icons to systems with, "enemy fleet spotted" or a custom waypoint with, "Assemble at this system". It seems simple enough but the ability to actually have a strategic picture to manage in real-time might make it easier to have a few separate fleets out acting in concert.

+9000

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #53 on: 29 Jan 2014, 10:04 »

D'aww...

You guys are adorable.  :o

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #54 on: 29 Jan 2014, 12:57 »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/22/dont-mention-it-germany-at-war-demo/

There's a reason that complicated games with simplistic graphics remain niche titles.

That being said a useful 'tactical' map for strategic purposes would be a nice addition.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #55 on: 29 Jan 2014, 13:50 »

We may have our personal preferences, but the game does need serious work on its presentation from an objective standpoint. Why do they go to the trouble of upgrading all the ship models (like Crucifier most recently) if, for PvP, we have to be zoomed out as far as possible to be effective? Either they a) ditch the ship models completely or b) work on a system that allows us to actually see the ship (and those gun turrets they revamped too) during PvP. We might not care individually, but for anyone reviewing the game objectively, this seems like a pretty big deal from how I can see it.

BBC reported on the fight anyway

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #56 on: 30 Jan 2014, 00:30 »

They make the models pretty for the two dozen women who play, of course. >:)

*runs away*

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #57 on: 30 Jan 2014, 00:41 »

What?  You mean have a tactical (grid/system), operational (system/constellation), and strategic (region/cluster) level activities?  You mean having roles for recon ships*, maybe even squadrons?  You mean maybe splitting forces to set traps or ambush travelling hostiles?  Silliness

*Idea: Covert Cloak hides/removes the using ship/toon from local, but also disables local for said ship/toon, and maybe even disables D-scan.  To actually provide intel on a hostile ship/force, you have to put eyeballs on them.  :twisted:

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: 30 Jan 2014, 09:04 »

I want pretty things. Beauty over function is always the best policy.  :cube:

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #59 on: 30 Jan 2014, 10:59 »

Dunno why but I read the title as "The Bass Drops"