Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Suuolo" is Caldari for friend? For more, read here

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The FW change  (Read 5424 times)

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
Re: The FW change
« Reply #30 on: 19 Dec 2011, 11:13 »

Cyno-jamming FW systems would play merry hell with the jump chains of various alliances and corps and so will most likely never happen because null-seccer happiness > all other concerns in CCP's priority list.

Since we in Mixed Metaphor habitually house our carriers in an FW system (I won't name it but you can probably guess), it would be a little bit of a bitch for us as well, actually. On the gripping hand, it'd also mean we could lord our carriers over anyone who wasn't lucky enough to have them in system when the change hit (at least until someone brought in a battleship blob and owned them).
Or, a carrier-sized WH showed up...why does everybody forget about wormholes?

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 19 Dec 2011, 16:19 »

Maybe they cannot balance the NPCs... but they could invest in serious changes to the design and completion mechanics of the various complexes that would help on the overall balance. The pallet of environmental effects and trigger effects is in fact rather extensive, I think it could be put to good use here.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 19 Dec 2011, 18:39 »

Just kill the whole 'capital-jump-to-cyno' thing. Really stupid concept. Yeah, lets make the biggest toughest ships the most mobile and the stealthiest, good idea! Also, with cyno's they can easily project power over a large area rather and be used in offense and defensive all over EVE rather than just giving their owners an important home advantage!

Capitals were poorly designed, and CCP is still reaping the rotten fruits from that decision years later after many 'balancing' patches.

Make capitals only be able to use gates, and give them 0.1 AU warp speed, and most of the problems would be over. Deploying capitals in a theater of war would then give a large advantage, but at a significant cost due to the logistics involved.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #33 on: 19 Dec 2011, 19:23 »

If that was implemented, the good-old Freighter logistics ops situation would return too. No more carrier-jump logistic ops for the null-seccers, and the logi-chains wolud be considerably longer - and more dangerous.

Without a doubht it would boost piracy, maybe even make a few null-sec alliances go anti-pirate to keep 'their' logi chain systems safe(r), instead of the fact that nearly all null-sec alliances are liable to go pirate in low-sec out of pure boredom in low-intensity periods.

Using capitals in fights would be a considerably more risky affair- slow and cumbersome, they would be hard to save in major fights where 'counter-dropping' was an oft-used tactic to deal with 'OMG THE ENEMY HAS 1 MORE CARRIER WE NEED MORE CAPITALS NAO'.

Long list of other effects I can't be bothered to list, because it would never happen. CCP = Null-sec happiness -> all others not engaging in the EVE 'end-game'. Making it harder to use cap-ships and denying them their easy-to-get hot-drop-and-gank fix? Dream on.

It's more likely they will actually balance FW rats, or dare I mention remove them entierly.

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #34 on: 19 Dec 2011, 22:39 »

Just kill the whole 'capital-jump-to-cyno' thing. Really stupid concept. Yeah, lets make the biggest toughest ships the most mobile and the stealthiest, good idea! Also, with cyno's they can easily project power over a large area rather and be used in offense and defensive all over EVE rather than just giving their owners an important home advantage!

Capitals were poorly designed, and CCP is still reaping the rotten fruits from that decision years later after many 'balancing' patches.

Make capitals only be able to use gates, and give them 0.1 AU warp speed, and most of the problems would be over. Deploying capitals in a theater of war would then give a large advantage, but at a significant cost due to the logistics involved.
Gates: Maybe.  However, the cyno mechanic does keep them out of HS though; you'd have to introduce a system secstatus check into the current logic that prevents capitals (except freighters/JFs) from using gates.

Warp speed nerf: That's overkill.  Even those big, slow, ugly freighters warp faster than that! (And just ask any freighter or JF pilot how slow 0.5 AU/s warps are.)

Also: please don't nerf capital-sized wormholes.  That'd just break C5/C6 space in too many ways to count.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 20 Dec 2011, 11:58 »

Gates: Maybe.  However, the cyno mechanic does keep them out of HS though; you'd have to introduce a system secstatus check into the current logic that prevents capitals (except freighters/JFs) from using gates.

It seems to me that this would be trivial to code.

Warp speed nerf: That's overkill.  Even those big, slow, ugly freighters warp faster than that! (And just ask any freighter or JF pilot how slow 0.5 AU/s warps are.)

Just an example. Warp speed (and capital movement in general) should be slow enough that capitals can't used as fast-response forces to an enemy strike a few systems away.

Also: please don't nerf capital-sized wormholes.  That'd just break C5/C6 space in too many ways to count.

Wormholes: of course no nerf is needed there. Capitals in wormholes are not the super-flexible fast response forces they are in non-WH space. In WH space they are as I think they are best used: strategic assets that take some difficult to move around, and if you move them away from your home base, its difficult to get them back in time if you suffer a surprise attack.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #36 on: 20 Dec 2011, 12:00 »

If that was implemented, the good-old Freighter logistics ops situation would return too. No more carrier-jump logistic ops for the null-seccers, and the logi-chains wolud be considerably longer - and more dangerous

As somebody in Market Discussions pointed out: Chromium is the same price in DeKlein as it is in Jita. Logistics costs are currently trivial for large-scale operations.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #37 on: 20 Dec 2011, 19:09 »

I'm seeing people that used to never touch plexes now doing them seriously, especially as a way of provoking the enemy into fights.  I'm also seeing all-day fights over certain systems, spread out over numerous, separate small-scale engagements.

Individual plexers are no longer as important - the halcyon days of the Val Erian / Damar Rocarion rivalry are over.  Instead of having a handful of fully-bonused implant clones and top-of-the-line faction ships on hand at the target system shortly after downtime, you'll want steady all-day participation from a wide range of militia members with a stock of cheap but effective t1 hulls. 

It may be very easy to capture a system now, but it's just as easy to lose it.  As long as there's an active tug-of-war on both sides, the occupancy borders will remain quite dynamic.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2011, 19:11 by Shaalira »

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 20 Dec 2011, 23:09 »

Good to hear Shaalira, thanks for the insight.

Edit: Mental fail, saw an S and FW and my mind made an erroneous connection.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2011, 08:46 by orange »

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #39 on: 21 Dec 2011, 00:29 »

If you're responding to me, I'm not Seriphyn.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 21 Dec 2011, 06:19 »

ohh very nice, thank you for that piece of info shaalira, glad to hear the "plexes warfront" is active, i havent been able to log in and participate on the qcats fleets lately because of work.

Back on topic, everyone should consider that currently FW does provide mild content in low-sec, and at least allows people to roam around looking for an objective. This also provides a mean of interaction with pirates and other low-sec dwellers, including for example IPI, ILF and I-RED who focused part of their operations to industryin low-sec.

Whatever change is suggested to FW, it needs to be just a bigger cauldron to promote activity. I've suggested a few times we just stick to minor plexes simply because roaming in small hulls is easier and does not attract titan hotdrops and jump bridges, but POS bashing and RR Battleship roams will always exist regardless and that provides plenty of opportunity for large scale combat.

In the end, the only thing that currently is annoying to most FW combatants, is the security hit when engaging pirates. If the whole "bounty hunting + anti pie" mechanics and options were reworked, i'm sure you would have much more activity spread around low-sec.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 21 Dec 2011, 08:45 »

If you're responding to me, I'm not Seriphyn.
Ya sorry for that, very tired when I responded Saalira and was just typing.  Again sorry for not paying attention.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #42 on: 21 Dec 2011, 08:48 »

Edit: Mental fail, saw an S and FW and my mind made an erroneous connection.

:3

But yes, I can confirm fellow militiawoman Shaalira is correct. It's all very vibrant. I hear Minmatar/Amarr is pretty busy too, but better for someone else to confirm that.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #43 on: 21 Dec 2011, 12:28 »

We've been seeing a bit more plexing as of late as well, though it seems like 90% of it is still being done by the late-US/early-Euro people right after DT.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #44 on: 22 Dec 2011, 09:35 »

Yes and no.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: 1 2 [3]