Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That capsuleers frequently communicate by means of dataprojectors? (The Burning Life, p 30)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: [Renamed] Issues and Concerns for RPing Streya  (Read 7348 times)

Streya

• Egger
Re: [Renamed] Issues and Concerns for RPing Streya
« Reply #45 on: 02 Jun 2013, 02:18 »

Lemme see... I'll be back in a limited sense from Thursday the 13th of this month. I'll be back fulltime from the end of that week. I look forward to fun and games - losing Condors isn't really a heartbreaker after all. :)

Ok Pieter! It'll be awesome :) Though I'm not sure if Streya would want to pew too hard at Pieter. I might have to be more creative with how I engage you...

Shiori

« Reply #46 on: 02 Jun 2013, 03:23 »

Of course if one wants to play a reasonable character they should only do reasonable things, which is why I made this thread; in-character actions were taken by my character that felt rather out-of-character for her. How do I reconcile my OOC desire to have fun PvPing and exploring dangerous areas  of space, with my character's anti-war beliefs?

Nuance them? Perhaps it's okay for her to shoot at "pirates," and capsuleer entities who are clearly there to shoot and be shot at. Maybe the situation and Streya's desire to be a friend to her friends makes her into a reluctant soldier - useful character archetype in general.

In general, character consistency is nice to have, but there's also this thing called character growth. There's limits to how far and how fast you can bend it, but those should have more to do with your own wishes than those of the IGS consistency police.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #47 on: 02 Jun 2013, 06:20 »

Poking my head in here to say that while Esna will enthusiastically call out Saede and ALXVP IC, it is because he simply does not like Saede and sees no reason not to step up and say something - same reason he'll periodically appear out of the woodwork to call out other opponents (Cartel, Sansha, hardline Matari, etc).

In some cases people have earned Esna's forgiveness for their past acts. Silver is a prime example of this; there are also several Matari who he is on far better terms now with. However, a key component of this is willingness to show remorse for past actions. All Esna's seen out of ALXVP is a continued chain of "problem actions" coupled with a "well it wasn't me, it was X" mentality with regard to past screwups.

See, Saede has, often shown remorse for her past actions, but Esna hasn't really interacted with her to see that. Saede has a bad blood situation with Kat too, and Kat has said Saede could probably patch things up between them, but not on the summit, however, the only place Saede sees Kat is the summit, so they've kept at barbs. I for one, don't mind my character having detractors or those who don't like her. She is a very polarizing character, regardless of how you're looking at her.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #48 on: 02 Jun 2013, 09:21 »

Poking my head in here to say that while Esna will enthusiastically call out Saede and ALXVP IC, it is because he simply does not like Saede and sees no reason not to step up and say something - same reason he'll periodically appear out of the woodwork to call out other opponents (Cartel, Sansha, hardline Matari, etc).

In some cases people have earned Esna's forgiveness for their past acts. Silver is a prime example of this; there are also several Matari who he is on far better terms now with. However, a key component of this is willingness to show remorse for past actions. All Esna's seen out of ALXVP is a continued chain of "problem actions" coupled with a "well it wasn't me, it was X" mentality with regard to past screwups.

See, Saede has, often shown remorse for her past actions, but Esna hasn't really interacted with her to see that. Saede has a bad blood situation with Kat too, and Kat has said Saede could probably patch things up between them, but not on the summit, however, the only place Saede sees Kat is the summit, so they've kept at barbs. I for one, don't mind my character having detractors or those who don't like her. She is a very polarizing character, regardless of how you're looking at her.

Katrina is almost completely unforgiving when speaking on the Summit itself, unless she's stepped far out of line. So that's why I suggest that RP with Kat in a more personal setting would be far more fruitful. This is one of the reasons I bent the rules a bit and let Saede bribe Kat to get back into the Lounge. That opens up two more private locations to chat: The lounge, and Kat's office down the hall.

On another note though, I thought Saede wanted people to dislike her character, which is kinda why I let Kat go all out haterade and hater-tots on her.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #49 on: 02 Jun 2013, 09:25 »

I thought Saede wanted people to dislike her character

Not really. I don't mind if they do, but it wasn't my intent to make her unlikable, just polarizing. She has very strong opinions that don't jive well with most people. I don't mind her having enemies, I think its good for RP, but I find that characters with no friends either aren't very fun to play.

Also, I'm still banned from the lounge Kat, so... :P
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #50 on: 02 Jun 2013, 09:39 »

Seriously? I thought I removed you! I might have hit cancel by mistake. I'll check it next time I'm able to log in.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #51 on: 02 Jun 2013, 09:40 »

What? Katrina doesn't honor bribes? What kind of diplomat is she? /o\
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #52 on: 02 Jun 2013, 09:47 »

Seriously? I thought I removed you! I might have hit cancel by mistake. I'll check it next time I'm able to log in.

If you can log in... :lol:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #53 on: 02 Jun 2013, 10:12 »

I was almost positive I had correctly unbanned her. :/

If you can log in... :lol:

That is precisely what I was referring to. :P

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #54 on: 02 Jun 2013, 10:59 »

I was almost positive I had correctly unbanned her. :/

;)
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #55 on: 02 Jun 2013, 11:00 »

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
Re: Going back to RP Lite
« Reply #56 on: 02 Jun 2013, 11:50 »

It certainly hasn't made me respect anybody less OOC. IC, of course, there will be words with Saede later - you're my friend and you wardecced my corporation when you KNEW I was stranded out in space and they were looking for me?!

I do think the war, as it stands, is unwinnable for AP - I could write a dissertation about why the WarDec was unneccessary and doomed to failure. On the other hand if the War was more about making a moral statement than inflicting a crushing defeat, then that should be fine.

You mean, people Pieter trusted started attacking him and his corp?!?!

Ohnoes!

I thought it was a cool little story, Saede and Streya. Kudos for bringing back wardec threads/threats on IGS.

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
« Reply #57 on: 03 Jun 2013, 03:45 »

I see that I was invoked a few pages back.

I'm not really sure how much I can talk about implantation within ALXVP without dropping spoilers that I shouldn't.

But objectively I would say that the implants Halete was given in ALXVP presented much less of a risk to her liberties than she might indicate In Character; ALXVP did cause her a great deal of personal distress but in the end she was effectively able to 'opt in' and 'opt out'.

But of course, now that she feels badly scorned by this war-dec combined with the bad feels she had to endure whilst with ALXVP, speaking from a purely IC perspective she's of course going to milk that for everything it's worth if it means damaging Saede's reputation.

Anslol

« Reply #58 on: 03 Jun 2013, 07:13 »

Lemme see... I'll be back in a limited sense from Thursday the 13th of this month. I'll be back fulltime from the end of that week. I look forward to fun and games - losing Condors isn't really a heartbreaker after all. :)

\o/ Mah bro's coming back! Woooooot!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: Going back to RP Lite
« Reply #59 on: 03 Jun 2013, 13:18 »

I still want to start a character blog though! Are there any solid guidelines on doing that?

There are a couple of things too keep in mind, particularly if you're writting an IC blog.

1) You're going to have enemies. They are going to look for ways to 'win' against you. They will use anything you post, regardless of how fucking obvious you make it that it's private and not knowable IC, to attack you. Get used to it, or never post anything particularly interesting. Or stick to stuff that is simultaneously interesting without showing off anything private or any character faults, etc.

2) Even people who aren't trying to use it against you will still use things posted publicly as IC knowledge regardless of whether they should. If your RP sphere is strictly limited to people who won't do this, it's not such a big issue, but if you're on IGS, in the Summit, anywhere else where people congregate, you're going to deal with people who read your blog and then try to use that info IC.

Bear in mind that even with people who won't actively use such info IC, knowing it OOC may color their behavior when encountering that info IC. Maybe they won't be as surprised by a secret because they already knew, etc. Or, over time, they'll forget that something they know OOC isn't supposed to be IC - they'll remember learning it, but forget that it was from the blog, and now the character will accidentally refer to it IC.

Fuckin' messy shit right there.

Another option is to write the blog and not publish it publicly, share it with only people who ask to see it and you can talk with about what knowledge their character has access to and so on.

Of course, paying attention to all of the above can make things boring. It's a trade-off.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5