Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers resurfaced in YC106 to protest the monopoly then held by the empires on deadspace warp beacon technology.

Author Topic: In game games - Replacement for poker  (Read 1364 times)

boffles

• Clonejack
In game games - Replacement for poker
« on: 06 Aug 2011, 15:45 »

With incarna slowly started my mind got thinking about bar games. We know there will be one included and I fear another will appear in game Poker. Don’t get me wrong I like poker, but it is not eve-y enough for me. So what eden needs is are games that are simple, but are routed in the cluster. Hence my plan to create at least one. This is the first iteration and looking to test the basic idea of it.

This games has its roots in Caldari and as such is a game about getting rich. It was originally created as an aid to teach children the details of business and how to succeed. However it became popular with wealth CEO as a was to understand the mind of their business rivals and how they approached deals. In some games a single credit can translate to a billion credits.

There are five suits; Power, water, food, Land and bank. These represents the five areas of business. For each suit there are three levels; Underling, Manager, Exec. These represents the levels of influence in business.

The deck is arrange in three piles. Each pile consists of a shuffled set of all the suit cards of one of the levels, so one for Underling, one for manager and one for Exec. This are called the staff. Each play is randomly dealt 5 underings and 1 manager in exchange for 10 credits. Each suit in play has one fund pile and there is one further pile which is the central fund.

Each takes turns to have one of 7 options as detailed below. At any point in the game they can leave the game, but to do so means that any credits still in play in the game are lost to him. There is not end point of the game, only when there is no one else willing to play. The last player then get the central fund.

The turn options are as follows;

1)   Buy Underling/Manager/Exec –This is the buying of a card. Underling is 1 credit, Manager is 6 credits Exec is 30. The isk goes into the central fund.
2)   Sell Card – Undering for 1 credit, Manager 4 credits  and exec is 20 credits. This comes out of the central fund. If there is not enough credit in the central fund then the player only gets what is available.
3)   Trade up – Exchanging one level of card for the next level up. So trade 5 Undering cards for one Manager, 5 manager for 1 exec.
4)   Raise fund – (this can be challenged see below) One card is played for the suit. To stay in the game every player must put that levels credit into that suits fund
5)   Raid fund – (this can be challenged see below) One card is played for the suit. If unchallenged that the suits fund goes to the player who placed the part.
6)   Transfer fund – (this can be challenged see below) two cards played. One for suit where the fund credit is to come from, and the other card suit is where the fund credits is going to.

A challenge can be made for any of the fund actions. All another player needs to do is to place a card of a level high then the one placed. So if a player wants to raid a fund and places an undering level, this can be countered by a manager or an exec. If the play raids with an exec card, then two players must both play an exec card to counter it.

This is the basis of the game and I am sure there are problem with it, so please point them out and make suggestions. The basic idea remember is to keep it very simple and also to enable as much backstabing and cheating as possible without it becoming impossible to play.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Boffles

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: In game games - Replacement for poker
« Reply #1 on: 06 Aug 2011, 18:08 »

It might be worth noting that other simple gambling games can be set up within an RP setting. Frigate racing, gladiatorial slave fights, and even memory/illusion games.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 06 Aug 2011, 18:31 »

But...i like poker. I dont want to see it go  :cry:
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #3 on: 06 Aug 2011, 23:17 »

Poker is so YC 1.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 07 Aug 2011, 01:07 »

My suggestion to folks wanting more alternatives?

Code one. Make it browser-friendly. Work with the EVE API. Bam.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 07 Aug 2011, 04:02 »

In game games - Replacement for poker

Maby we be able to play Mindclash or what its called or other games/sports from EVE PF

boffles

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 07 Aug 2011, 04:29 »

Thanks for all the replies. Answer to some of the points put already.

My suggestion to folks wanting more alternatives?

Code one. Make it browser-friendly. Work with the EVE API. Bam.

That is the plan. However I wanted to run the idea past a few people before I began to code. I am trying to work out if I should start from scratch or get a poker version and modify it.

It might be worth noting that other simple gambling games can be set up within an RP setting. Frigate racing, gladiatorial slave fights, and even memory/illusion games.

There is a difference here. Poker is a game of people against people while most of the example you quote are betting on the outcome of something. Poker (and this game) is all about people playing. By that I mean you can be in the weaker position but still trick the other person into losing. If that makes any sense.

lol. Yes I know people love poker and so I want there to be a real equivalent for Eve. My unrealistic goal for this is for it to eventually appear in game as a built in game like the other one that CCP have said will be there, whos name I forget at the moment.

Thanks again for all the comment and I will take them all on board as I develope this idea further.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 07 Aug 2011, 06:59 »

boffles

• Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 08 Aug 2011, 13:19 »

Pettokori

Interesting. Do you know if anyone has done any work on this. Not much details in the eveopedia etc.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 09 Aug 2011, 05:48 »

Nowt as far as I know. I'd personally make it reskinned poker though.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2011, 10:28 »

Aww.  :(

EVE Poker is my primary source of ISK nowadays.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!