Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Jin-Mei homeworlds of Lirsautton III and V are called Chakaux and Chandeille respectively?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Jebus christ, HAO U FIT SHEEPS?!  (Read 2658 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Jebus christ, HAO U FIT SHEEPS?!
« on: 03 Oct 2014, 12:49 »

Not doing pewpew for years now means I'm completely and utterly behind on all things when it comes to ship fitting. It's horrible. My EFT is begging me to plz stahp hurting it and my hangar is full of packaged ships cowering in fear of my slapdash attentions. Where do you guys look for fits these days and please don't say you scrounge through killboards?

I swear I just saw the Sleipnir stack try to hide behind the Hurricanes. The hurricanes themselves seem to have simply given up the will to live entirely.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
Re: Jebus christ, HAO U FIT SHEEPS?!
« Reply #1 on: 03 Oct 2014, 12:58 »

I don't do kill mails mostly because they died. It doesn't tell me if they lasted a long time or what.

I usually take the recommendations of veterans around me, and ask as many questions as I can think of.  Since moving to lowsec, I religiously fly fits supplied by others - I have what feels like an immense library of both test and tried and true doctrines I'm slowly trying to understand. People link their fits a lot to talk about them, and I tend to creep around saving them if it is met with approval of the vets.

I also keep the alliance tab open and watch for people crying about this or that fit that they killed. Despite the unveiled mockery that's not so tasteful, I think I've learned more about fitting (ie, what NOT to fit) from the wailing of 'whys' than anything else! o. o
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Dessau

« Reply #2 on: 03 Oct 2014, 13:07 »

I don't do kill mails mostly because they died. It doesn't tell me if they lasted a long time or what.

This depends on the pilot. Very successful soloists will still have losses in their pet fits. Comparing kill histories to losses, you can guess which fits they are curb-stomping the opposition in. Knowing how to fly that fit is another matter entirely.

Outside of general fitting best practices, when I need inspiration, I look for battleclinic fits with a long list of replies, since that indicates substantial discussion and/or revision of the fit. High rating only means the fit will be predictable, so that is not much of a driver. Same goes for the FHC hangar, though they are much more keen on purpose-build fits than general PvP, IMO, and so I would exercise more caution there.

EDIT: Also, bear in mind that with the upcoming module tiericide, fitting will probably be turned on its head a bit.
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2014, 13:11 by Dessau »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #3 on: 03 Oct 2014, 14:20 »

I usually ask Sid.

Or I browse through killmails, youtube videos made by respectable and skilled pvpers, or I ask other people who are not Sid.
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2014, 14:30 by Samira Kernher »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #4 on: 03 Oct 2014, 14:52 »

From memory mostly. I have the basics down, so I just create a "standard" or cookie cutter fit in eft, then just start playing around with stuff. Seeing what happens if I drop a magstab for a second rep, stuff like that xD

Or I ask Ava (and ignore Sid >_> )

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 03 Oct 2014, 14:58 »

Hrr, in other words it'll be fucking mad scientist mode for the foreseeable future. Currently I'm staring at an EFT Wolf fit at over 10k ehp while trying to figure out who I'll get to launch it from a Naglfar's arti so it can actually get within engagement range of anything. Aaaaaaaaaaa I can't remember any of the old fits except the old shield buffer MAX DPS ac fits for some cruisers and bcs.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #6 on: 03 Oct 2014, 15:01 »

Hrr, in other words it'll be fucking mad scientist mode for the foreseeable future. Currently I'm staring at an EFT Wolf fit at over 10k ehp while trying to figure out who I'll get to launch it from a Naglfar's arti so it can actually get within engagement range of anything. Aaaaaaaaaaa I can't remember any of the old fits except the old shield buffer MAX DPS ac fits for some cruisers and bcs.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/41209416/

Here's Ava's fit. She likes Wolves.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 03 Oct 2014, 19:04 »

I ask people I know can pewpew.

Then I die horribly anyway.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 03 Oct 2014, 21:32 »

1. Think of what you want to fight.

2. Take a hull that can beat it in an unexpected way while still being viable against other ships of that sort. Surprise is key for getting fights that you can win. If you turn up in a ship that is an obvious or known counter for what you are fighting your enemy will not engage unless he is stupid or setting a trap.

3. Fly well. This usually entails dying a lot first.

4. NEVER NOT PEW. LOWSEC 4 LYFE.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 03 Oct 2014, 21:51 »

For some of us, it never gets to that first bit.

"This is just like mining a ship, right guys?

Guys?"

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 04 Oct 2014, 00:45 »

1. Think of what you want to fight.

2. Take a hull that can beat it in an unexpected way while still being viable against other ships of that sort. Surprise is key for getting fights that you can win. If you turn up in a ship that is an obvious or known counter for what you are fighting your enemy will not engage unless he is stupid or setting a trap.

4. NEVER NOT PEW. LOWSEC 4 LYFE.

5. Always fly full faction fits.

6. Never not bring a cargohold full of monocles.

7. Never vary your fits. Always fit the same way. People won't be expecting that, so eventually you'll take them by surprise.

8. Scouts are for scaredy cats. Always Benny Hill all travel.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if the old hangar (got a lot of ships filling a lot of roles) can be converted from "large" small-gang usefulness to almost solo/duo usefulness.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 04 Oct 2014, 01:25 »

Yeah that.

I have always done my fits myself without any consideration for meta. Most where completely anti meta actually and it met different results, from bad to very good. Most of the pvp I did was solo and small group.

One of the most fun part of it was actually EFT warrioring and experimenting fits that was uncommon, or just common enough to me but definitely not according to the meta. Surprise is key in solo pvp imo, or it just becomes a game a rock paper scissors in terms of engagement : "im flying a rock, he is flying paper, so i won't engage". You can capitalize on that if you know the meta and don't follow it. You know who will and who will not engage you thinking that you fly something according to the meta, while you actually don't. The rest are just leroy jenkins just waiting to get popped.

When people don't expect meta, it instead becomes a game of rock paper scissors but not on the engagement, rather on the fits themselves though, sadly. Most of the best fights are the fights that actually don't involve that stupid shit, like rock vs rock, scissors vs scissors, etc.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
« Reply #12 on: 04 Oct 2014, 18:31 »

This depends on the pilot. Very successful soloists will still have losses in their pet fits. Comparing kill histories to losses, you can guess which fits they are curb-stomping the opposition in. Knowing how to fly that fit is another matter entirely.

^^^ You're totally right.  I'm going to admit to some laziness on my part for not just digging deeper into habits. Bad fits are a bit more obviously informative for learning at first, too, I think. There's a lot of room and personality in good fits, I think. It's something to aspire to, whereas bad fits are bad, usually for basic reasons independent of individual skill. I think that's why my focus has been on learning about specifically bad fits, and tried and true good fits.

I can't really speak with any authority being beginner, myself, but I think my point was that, so long as you understand what people tend to be flying, or what your ship tends to be weak against, you could probably err on the side of caution and not fly too 'inventively' at first while absorbing - There are a lot of options, and very similar-seeming things can actually be laughable in practice. I would argue to earn what's commonplace in your neighbourhood (that is assuming there is 'commonplace') and then the mindgames can come later once all the pieces' moves are learned.  Then, the idea is you move on to tweak it to suit your style:
From memory mostly. I have the basics down, so I just create a "standard" or cookie cutter fit in eft, then just start playing around with stuff. Seeing what happens if I drop a magstab for a second rep, stuff like that xD

In a lot of ways it's a conservative, booky way of going about it, and likely not the fastest or most effective, but beginners gonna begin. /shrug It's a lot of information to take in at once - first learning to put together, then learning to figure out what happened when it didn't work out. It's always logical, but it's something I think can be rough to suddenly jump into. Ultimately though, I would agree with everyone that the idea is to get to a place where you're innovating, of course! Then you have a leg over all the guys just doing what I am.  :p

Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #13 on: 04 Oct 2014, 18:56 »

^^^ You're totally right.  I'm going to admit to some laziness on my part for not just digging deeper into habits. Bad fits are a bit more obviously informative for learning at first, too, I think. There's a lot of room and personality in good fits, I think. It's something to aspire to, whereas bad fits are bad, usually for basic reasons independent of individual skill. I think that's why my focus has been on learning about specifically bad fits, and tried and true good fits.

I can't really speak with any authority being beginner, myself, but I think my point was that, so long as you understand what people tend to be flying, or what your ship tends to be weak against, you could probably err on the side of caution and not fly too 'inventively' at first while absorbing - There are a lot of options, and very similar-seeming things can actually be laughable in practice. I would argue to earn what's commonplace in your neighbourhood (that is assuming there is 'commonplace') and then the mindgames can come later once all the pieces' moves are learned.  Then, the idea is you move on to tweak it to suit your style:

In a lot of ways it's a conservative, booky way of going about it, and likely not the fastest or most effective, but beginners gonna begin. /shrug It's a lot of information to take in at once - first learning to put together, then learning to figure out what happened when it didn't work out. It's always logical, but it's something I think can be rough to suddenly jump into. Ultimately though, I would agree with everyone that the idea is to get to a place where you're innovating, of course! Then you have a leg over all the guys just doing what I am.  :p

Unsure if you're talking about yourself or me in the second half of your post, but I'll just quickly add:

I'm definitely not a beginner at this :P When I say I have a standard or cookie cutter fit to start from, I have one of these in memory for damn near every pvp sip in the game, except a few very fringe cases (how does Hyena ._. ). I've been at this theorycrafting stuff for long enough that I can recite most basic fits more or less on demand, for any ship you ask. I really only use eft for experimental fits, and for those I use the tried and tested as a baseline before going nuts.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Karynn

« Reply #14 on: 05 Oct 2014, 02:12 »

Most of my fits are gleaned from the post-fight pillow talk with my opponents, where we exchange fittings, discuss the tactics and slip in a sales pitch for boosters!

Other times I look up the killboards of renowned frigateers to get an idea, but the problem with killboards is that you don't get much detail of the tactics used behind the fit.

I don't use EFT, too much number crunching and theory for my liking!
Pages: [1] 2