Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Evanda Char once stole a priceless artifact from Admirals Tharrn's office and made it into ear rings precipitating a year long war?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rebalancing Ship Classes  (Read 6283 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Rebalancing Ship Classes
« on: 03 Dec 2010, 15:25 »

A comment from Kyoko in the Sansha supercarrier thread made me wonder what people think of the current arrangement of ships on offer and their applications in combat.  What ship class needs its role changed the most?  Which ships deserve the most attention to make them again/more useful (or unique) pieces on the chess board of EVE warfare?  Perhaps another way to ask the question is: What would you like to fly that you don't currently because its simply a broken ship?  We can talk shop on the RP forums, right?

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
Re: Rebalancing Ship Classes
« Reply #1 on: 03 Dec 2010, 15:28 »

Ferox needs some love at least, it makes gods cry.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #2 on: 03 Dec 2010, 15:36 »

Blaster boats need love. Drone boats need to have a way around losing all their dps if they have to warp off grid all of a sudden.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 03 Dec 2010, 15:38 »

Railguns in general are gimp. They use too much cap for such little damage. One or the other needs adjustment.

I don't agree that blasters need much love -- no more than 3-5%. They already do the highest DPS of any ship. The trouble is the damage type: kinetic/thermal, which is the most heavily tanked against.

Drone boats are fine, but it's true they lost some use since the nosferatu nerf.

I would like CCP to revisit the Assault Frigate (they're doing this) and the Interdictor (too slow or not  enough survivability to be useful; except the Sabre).

Vikarion

« Reply #4 on: 03 Dec 2010, 15:46 »

In my opinion:

All Caldari railboats need major buffs. And Gallente blaster ships need a 5% speed boost OR MWD boost. Blasters need 5% more tracking, except for the small ones.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #5 on: 03 Dec 2010, 16:37 »

I don't agree that blasters need much love -- no more than 3-5%. They already do the highest DPS of any ship.

Blasters are more or less ok, it's blaster boats that have problems - particularly solo. If you have a pet rapier of course it's a different matter.

And like I said the only problem with drone boats is losing them at warp-off. They should have some kind of warp like Fighters do, but only for recall to bay.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #6 on: 03 Dec 2010, 17:23 »

EAFs are less common than Titans. This is a problem.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #7 on: 03 Dec 2010, 18:03 »

Eris

Please stop my Eris Crying at night.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 03 Dec 2010, 18:34 »

A comment from Kyoko in the Sansha supercarrier thread made me wonder what people think of the current arrangement of ships on offer and their applications in combat.  What ship class needs its role changed the most?  Which ships deserve the most attention to make them again/more useful (or unique) pieces on the chess board of EVE warfare?  Perhaps another way to ask the question is: What would you like to fly that you don't currently because its simply a broken ship?  We can talk shop on the RP forums, right?

Disclaimer--I think PvE is better left to WoW.

Entire ship lines that are useless or near useless:

Destroyers with the very situational exception of the Thrasher.  Sig radius of a cruiser, tank of a frigate.

Assault Frigates.  Only about half of them are even usable.  Ishkur is the tits.  There's something to be said for the Wolf, Jag, and Vengeance.  The rest are horrible.  

Black Ops BS:  Okay, the fuel bay helped IMMENSELY.  Thank you CCP.  But it still feels a bit pre-nerfed.  The lack of CovOps cloak makes this ship a little less useful than a T3 in the same situation (provided CCP fixed the T3 back to being able to black ops bridge, which they may well not have done, I haven't checked).  I could see where it'd be overpowered to give them one though.  YMMV.  Oh, and bridging recons is stupidly expensive fuel-wise.  The fact that you can bridge 436.7 stealth bombers for the cost of one recon probably could use a touch of love.

Dreadnoughts:  Since the changes to supercarriers and advent of fighter bombers (none of which I particularly find problematic), dreadnoughts are obsolete.  There is exactly no reason to ever use one.  You need a handful of dreads to equal the dps of a supercarrier.  You need the dreads to immobilize themselves for several minutes at a stretch in order to use that DPS, and it's very much range-dependant.  And doing that just paints a bullseye on your ass for a supercarrier counterdrop.  I'm not hugely into the capitals online side of the game despite owning a supercarrier and previously having owned a dread/carrier, but it is very clear that these ships currently  have no practical role in EVE, and should probably be looked at.

Specific ships that need love--note that I'm generally ignoring some of the t1 hulls because cheap t1 hulls probably should be a little gimpy (lolmoa).  

Kitsune.  It can't lock to half of its jam optimal.  You can't take advantage of one of the built-in roles of the ship without using at least two module/rig slots for lock range modifiers.  

Eagle.  Rails are terrible.  The Eagle is built for rails.  Ergo, the ship sucks.  Blaster eagles are moderately sort of okay in a few situations, but there are generally several other options to choose from that are far superior--for instance, for a pure Caldari pilot, the Drake.

Ishtar.  This one's sticky.  The ship itself isn't bad until you realize that the hybrid bonus on it is unusable with any sort of conventional fit because the ship has less CPU than a 1983 stopwatch.  And never mind armor tanking it in PvP.  This ship has the potential to be a monster--note that blasters are still blasters, so being able to use them on the Ishtar wouldn't really unbalance the ship terribly IMO.

Muninn.  This ship is close to being great, but yet so far.  The alpha is decent if you jam 720s on it, but your range is still meager and you're flying tankless.  Your DPS is even worse if you're not simply alphaing things.  Again, the Drake comes to mind as a ship that can project damage to similar ranges while still doing just about everything else better.

Pilgrim.  Fucking useless.  This ship has issues killing a solo shit-fit belt ratter, nevermind having any application in a pitched fight.  They're a free killmail in any sort of situation where there are more than 3 pilots involved.  And now that the Proteus is out there, there's really no reason to fly the Pilgrim--the Proteus does what the Pilgrim did far better--decloak on someone's face while they're ratting/plexing and melt them.

Arazu/Lachesis (and Keres/Maulus).  The fact that people don't even try to fit damps on these ships anymore is probably worth a gander.  Typical casualty of CCP overnerfing.  IMO, keep damps crappy, but boost the bonuses on the dedicated damp boats such that they're actually useful for something other than keeping that drake from locking you at 80.  

Oneiros.  Not a terrible ship per se, but when you compare it to the frequency of use of the other three, you realize something's up.  The Basi/Guardian cap transfer ability makes circle-jerking them a perfect counter to neuting, and thus the logi of choice on logi gangs.  The Scimi is nimble, fast, and has low sig radius, making it ideal for fast-moving shield skirmish gangs.  The Oneiros has none of the above.  It doesn't tank particularly well, and it offers no real bonus over the Guardian besides being accessible to Gallente pilots who haven't cross-trained Amarr.  The only good thing I can really say about the Oneiros is it's a hilarious ship to comedy fit.  You can get some scary results out of a gang of half a dozen Oneiros sporting Valk IIs and ACs, using the midslots for ewar and fitting 2 reps each.  But then again no one's going to engage 6 logis anyway.

Legion.  It should ring a bell somewhere that the only Legion fits used in PvP at all are the HAM buffer fit and the can't-be-probed ganglink fit.  Oh, and the remote sensor boosted instalock kit that can be done just as well with the Loki.  With turrets, you're better off buying 4 Zealots.  With a cloak sub, you're better off flying just about anything else.  With the cloak+bubble immune fit, I don't even know what you're supposed to do with it, but it's horrible.  Sat next to either of the other three, the Legion lacks what the other three have as a strength--versatility.  And the fact that the majority of the subsytems are simply not good for anything is a problem.  It's the only T3 in my hangar that I don't have backup subsystems for, and arguably any time I'm using it, I'd be just as well off or better in a Loki or Proteus--either of those can fit the same sort of buffer, same sort of DPS, AND offer their ewar bonuses of long-range web/scram.

The fact that the Ferox is a better ship when fitted with ACs/Lasers should be a hint to CCP.

Eos:  Why would anyone fly this ship?  I've been able to fly it since 2008 but the only time I've ever sat in one was during the last tourney when my team decided that the best counter to the fotm missile spam was to stack as many damps as possible.  I've looked at this ship as an alternative to the Deimos--it can get the same DPS, better buffer, and fit a gang link while doing it for about the same price--but doing that ignores most of the bonuses on the ship.  Long story short, CCP should recognize that active tank bonuses on Fleet Commands are useless.  And if they fix the Arazu/Lach/Keres/Maulus to allow them to field damps with some modicum of utility, this ship will be infinitely more useful.  As it is, I don't think I've seen one of these in space on TQ since they nerfed the drone bay.

Astarte:  Armor tank+active tank bonus+blasters=head scratcher of a combo.  Rigs that slow you down, tank that needs cap to run on a boat that sucks down cap with the MWD/guns, guns that require you to be blaring that MWD to get into/stay in range...this ship has too many problems for the pricetag.  Yes, it's a fucking meat grinder.  But you'll almost never live long enough to get into range to use it.  I've owned three over the course of the last three years.  None survived more than 24 hours.  

Claymore:  This ship is still good, don't get me wrong.  But the active tank bonus is not.  It's never used.  I'm not sure what to replace it with, but it could probably use some looking into.  

Panther:  As much as I like the fact that with HG Snakes, Black Ops 5, a pimped-out fit, gang links, and a stroke of brilliant luck, you stand a snowball's chance in hell of bumping a capital off of a station with this ship, the speed bonus is...well it's not terribly useful on a 500m isk battleship.  

There are probably a few I'm forgetting, but just off the top of my head, these are the ships that need help or review.  Others are of questionable use for PvP, but very useful for PvE, so I'll leave them off.

Oh, and one other side comment.  Since the advent of T3, RR Battleships are very much out of vogue.  You can get way beyond BS buffer, low-end BS DPS, and cruiser mobility/sig radius out of T3s.  Add a few logis to the mix, and you have an incredibly nasty gang capable of shredding an RR BS gang.  I'm not sure where I'm going with that observation, but it's readily apparent from watching the trends of gangs we've faced/flown over the course of the last 18 months in Syndicate.

Oh, and do something about Drakes please.  Seeing 30 people in drakes steamroll a 70 man fleet...something's wrong with that.  Drakeblobs are the new Vagablob.  In 5s and 6s, Drakes are dangerous, but not unengageable.  In 50s and 60s, they are very much untouchable.  Much unlike the old nanoblobs, there are really no good counters to the Drakeblob.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2010, 18:42 by Bacchanalian »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 03 Dec 2010, 20:48 »

When refering to what ship model that needs review or revisit, i agree with 99% of what Bach said.

When refering to Ship classes, well, Dreads+EAS+Destroyers are the only "class" or category that i think it need review overall.

Albeit it can be said Blasters and Railguns need review, it is a much more delicate issue, since its centered around the gun put into use in gallente or caldari ships with very different philosophies.

Everything else is more or less ok.

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 04 Dec 2010, 06:09 »

ECM ships. In my opinion ECM is still a too strong force multiplier, especially as many lighter ship classes have no useful way to counter it except by bringing ECM ships of their own. I would nerf ECM more, or make ECCM stronger and/or more useful to fit for the ships with low sensor strengths.
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2010, 06:13 by Isobel Mitar »

Vikarion

« Reply #11 on: 04 Dec 2010, 06:18 »

I'm really skeptical about a possible Drake nerf. Drakes haven't been significantly changed for years, but now they are suddenly a problem?

I think that it's more likely that other things might need buffing slightly, or even just waiting to see if this to shall pass. It wasn't that long ago that everyone was flying a hurricane.

As for ECM, if it's nerfed any more, I don't think it will ever be used.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #12 on: 04 Dec 2010, 08:22 »

Active tank bonuses should also give a portion of that bonus to incoming RR. Then they're on par with resistance/EHP bonuses for gangs.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 04 Dec 2010, 08:33 »

I'd adjust the Legion - it's undergunned. It was clearly designed to have 7 turrets, as that's how many visible gun points there are on the frickin' model! Except for some reason it can only fit six, and that in a poorly tanked configuration with no drones for backup.

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #14 on: 04 Dec 2010, 12:44 »

I'm really skeptical about a possible Drake nerf. Drakes haven't been significantly changed for years, but now they are suddenly a problem?

This. The Drake has had nothing through it's life but nerfs; it was singled out and had it's shield recharge time increased a while back, missile in general have had a number of nerfs, etc... (one exception: the recent missile changes did help it).

The problem is not with the Drake itself, it's with blobbing of Drakes. But that is not a problem unique to the Drake. If you had 50-60 Arty-Canes with logi-support doing the same stuff as the Drakes are... You're going to have very similar issues.

Don't nerf the ships or their weapons because people are blobbing with them.

I think that it's more likely that other things might need buffing slightly, or even just waiting to see if this to shall pass. It wasn't that long ago that everyone was flying a hurricane.

I remember being told that I would never be able to PvP with missiles and that I had to train for a Hurricane (I didn't), as Drakes/missiles are utterly worthless against other players... most of my kills are with a Drake and now people are begging for it to be nerfed.

The Hurricane used to be (and still is to a certain degree) an amazing solo BC or small group (3-5 people) ship. It used to be considered OP, but then people realized how to counter it and now there's no problems. The same cycle for every "OP" ship that comes around, just give it a bit of time and a new FOTM will wipe the field with it.

As for ECM, if it's nerfed any more, I don't think it will ever be used.

The only thing I'd like to see changed is ECCM == 1 guaranteed lock (maybe 2 for meta4/T2) and provides the bonus to sensor strength to "roll" whether it jams the other locks past that one. I think that would fix a lot of the problems/complaints without making ECM useless.

ECM already took a kick in the balls when they made it inviable from outside of sentry range. As Caldari are the only race with one e-war type with a bonus, it should be potent. And I will stand by that theory until they give Caldari a second e-war bonus for their recons.

Also, one of the most powerful e-war mechanics is also one of the most underrated e-war type in the game: Target Painters. I've heard people bitch time and time again that TPs are useless, and they are either dumb, mis-informed, or being intentionally misled to false conclusions.

I'd like to see more Rapiers/Huginns with TPs fit during combat, they make me happy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4