Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the first ways to crack safe spots was to warp past the person and hope your bookmark landed you next to them?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DUST soldiers: Profitable! (Also: downsides of DUST-dom)  (Read 4203 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: DUST soldiers: Profitable! (Also: downsides of DUST-dom)
« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2013, 22:36 »

War is hell, even when you survive it.

Granted. However ... well, first of all, dropsuit durability seems to limit the amount of body horror in play. Then there's this: war may be hell even if you survive it, but what if there was never a substantial chance you wouldn't?

What if there was no substantial chance anybody wouldn't? Even the enemy?

What if you faced death half a dozen times in fifteen minutes, and each time received some variation of: an impact, some pain but not a huge amount (nerves burned by plasma, plus wound shock), nonfunctionality-- and a new, uninjured "you" waking up as if from a dark dream?

Surely, some minds would crumble. But....

It does seem different, doesn't it?

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2013, 22:55 »

Despite game mechanics, I highly doubt that DUSTies would be only facing other DUSTies. Every now and then they're going to have to face regular, baseline soldiers, and/or fight with regular, baseline soldiers.

Also, facing death a dozen times in fifteen minutes, would lead to PTSD I think. Or similar. Your mind will acclimate to it, sure, but that acclimation itself usually is the mental issue. I don't think it'd be something people would just 'get over'.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2013, 22:58 »

It is worth noting that even drone operators who never leave their home base in the US are still experiencing PTSD. They are not being hurled aside by shockwaves, staunching the bloodflow from a wounded comrade, having to be constantly on edge even as they walk from the barracks to the bathroom, or experiencing any of the other kinds of infinite hells being directly on the battlefield offers.

The stress still gets to them. Detachment does not equal invulnerability from war's mental effects.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 29 Apr 2013, 23:10 »

Despite game mechanics, I highly doubt that DUSTies would be only facing other DUSTies. Every now and then they're going to have to face regular, baseline soldiers, and/or fight with regular, baseline soldiers.

Also, facing death a dozen times in fifteen minutes, would lead to PTSD I think. Or similar. Your mind will acclimate to it, sure, but that acclimation itself usually is the mental issue. I don't think it'd be something people would just 'get over'.

To the first: historically, perhaps (PF hints at it), but apparently not at the moment. One side hires DUST mercs, so the other has to do the same.

To the second: it's the "or similar" that I'm looking at with such interest. I'm not saying DUST mercs are going to end up sane; I'm just not sure that "extreme PTSD" is quite the right diagnosis. The acclimation itself does strike me as a problem.

After all, it's acclimation to space that seems to be responsible for capsuleer dementia. I want to be able to sketch the DUST equivalent (oh, we wants it, precious).

It is worth noting that even drone operators who never leave their home base in the US are still experiencing PTSD. They are not being hurled aside by shockwaves, staunching the bloodflow from a wounded comrade, having to be constantly on edge even as they walk from the barracks to the bathroom, or experiencing any of the other kinds of infinite hells being directly on the battlefield offers.

The stress still gets to them. Detachment does not equal invulnerability from war's mental effects.

Ooo ... point. Very interesting point.

Even more of a point if DUST soldiers' doings cause collateral damage. I imagine inadvertently detonating a Taliban operative's kid sister would be the sort of thing to cause PTSD, even without any personal threat to life and limb.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2013, 01:50 »

DUSTies are probably so hopped up on combat drugs all the time, so they can never return to real life without serious rehab.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #20 on: 30 Apr 2013, 02:54 »

The many men, so beautiful!
And they all dead did lie:
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2013, 03:24 »

Ooo ... point. Very interesting point.

Even more of a point if DUST soldiers' doings cause collateral damage. I imagine inadvertently detonating a Taliban operative's kid sister would be the sort of thing to cause PTSD, even without any personal threat to life and limb.

Reading about this, it seems that the drone operator is in a position of making decisions, or being relied on, where screwing up can cause friendlies to die due to lack of support, or neutrals to die due to mis-identified target, and it's all there on TV to be played back later. The article talked about drone pilots having nightmares as if watching the film over and over without being able to change anything, which might hearken back to your "helplessness" criteria earlier.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #22 on: 02 May 2013, 11:41 »

From the new chronicle (Falling Skies):

"Tunen was mesmerized for a few seconds more as he looked into his own eyes. It was the first time he’d ever seen himself dead. His vacant, dust-covered features were visible through his shattered visor, identical but lifeless eyes staring back at him. "

There's one potential reason for PTSD.

“Do not underestimate our hostiles. Reports indicate we’re up against a sizable force of these prototype soldiers that have been in the news. You’ve all had the briefing; you know what they’re capable of.”

“Hey Tsu, you hear that? We’re up against those cloned freaks. We gotta keep the squad close-cut, good spacing, hit 'em hard and fast and be prepped to knock out their CRU if they keep coming.”

For those people who think that clone soldiers only fight other clone soldiers, here's an example of them fighting baseliners. So not everyone a DUSTie kills is going to be immortal. They're going to be killing mortals, too, and that's probably going to cause issues.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 02 May 2013, 14:03 »

For those people who think that clone soldiers only fight other clone soldiers, here's an example of them fighting baseliners. So not everyone a DUSTie kills is going to be immortal. They're going to be killing mortals, too, and that's probably going to cause issues.

I think the general line has been that "we" clone soldiers (operatives) are currently fighting only our fellows.

It was obvious enough that there was other stuff going on elsewhere on Caldari Prime, but I can promise you that not a single PC merc ever saw action against regular military that day-- if only because CCP hasn't implemented any form of PvE yet.

SOON (TM) - but I'm not prepared to pretend that my character is already doing stuff she isn't doing, that none of us are doing. Fair enough if somebody is doing it, but the regular DUST mercenaries did not have this experience at all-- and our experiences are themselves canon, if "Eve is Real."

Edit:

What was there was pretty damn cool, mind you.

Further edit:

When we do get around to killing mere mortals, I'll be interested to see how it plays out in practice. One of the fun things about "studying" infomorphs as Aria has been attempting to interpret player actions in a game in a way that makes sense in the world.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2013, 14:13 by Aria Jenneth »

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #24 on: 02 May 2013, 16:04 »

"Tunen was mesmerized for a few seconds more as he looked into his own eyes. It was the first time he’d ever seen himself dead. His vacant, dust-covered features were visible through his shattered visor, identical but lifeless eyes staring back at him. "
Could be.
Its not exactly the same thing, but someone in my town once nearly choked to death on some food. He does not really have any issues with the experience, but one aspect of it causes him to daily wake up to nightmares: during the experience, he looked in a mirror and saw his own face filled with mortal dread. It is the image of that face that wakes him up at night.
-OOChé

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2013, 12:29 »

Could be.
Its not exactly the same thing, but someone in my town once nearly choked to death on some food. He does not really have any issues with the experience, but one aspect of it causes him to daily wake up to nightmares: during the experience, he looked in a mirror and saw his own face filled with mortal dread. It is the image of that face that wakes him up at night.

TIL never to look in the mirror if I'm close to death.
That last line reads like something out of a Chronicle. "He looked in a mirror and saw his own face filled with mortal dread. It is the image of that face that wakes him up at night."
Pages: 1 [2]