Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that station interiors have a day/night cycle mimicking planets? (p. 88)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: kids are good  (Read 14247 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: kids are good
« Reply #45 on: 15 Jul 2010, 10:55 »

but I can't carry them to term, and give birth to them, which is something I've always wished I could do.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #46 on: 15 Jul 2010, 11:11 »

Kat's my step-mum, rather than actual mother.
\o/

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #47 on: 15 Jul 2010, 11:18 »

Kids are good
...dipped in sour cream or salsa. >.>

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #48 on: 15 Jul 2010, 11:20 »

My mom is my stepmother. She married my dad when I was four and my sister was two. She fed us when we were sick, got me through my jackass teenage years, and I talk to her nearly every other day still. She's my mom. She had three more children of "her own", so to speak, but my sister and I are just as much her kids as our other siblings. My biological mother and I haven't spoken in nearly a year. God willing, we never will again.

My wife's dad is her stepfather. Her biological father hasn't been in the picture since she was a year old. The man that raised her, though, he's her dad.

Pregnancy is only a tiny, tiny part of raising a child. Sure, it's special and magical, but giving yourself heart and soul to care for an innocent soul who bears no responsibility for the suffering they will have due to whatever choices their biological parents make has its own magic.

I love my kids to death, and I wouldn't trade them for anything, but I do sometimes wonder how it would have been to adopt like we had discussed originally. Instead, I focus on the two that I have plus my little nephew, also growing up fatherless. But those souls that make that sacrifice based on pure love, with no biological impulse at all? Those people qualify as "saints" in a very real and totally non-religious sense.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #49 on: 15 Jul 2010, 12:20 »

Kids are good
...dipped in sour cream or salsa. >.>

They're better with a nice hollandaise.

I've been resisting that statement for months.

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #50 on: 15 Jul 2010, 17:40 »

I fully fully agree with the folks that say the kids still yours.  And trust me... pregnancy isn't *that* fun.

The only good part is when your holding your kid.  Then again I swelled up like a ballon and was practically bedridden for the last 2 months of it.

There are cases where you can even adopt a kid before they are born and be there for the birth so you get to hold em while they are still purple.

Small warning - kids don't come with an instruction manual.  And they don't care about numbers... confusing critters they are.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 15 Jul 2010, 19:12 »

Small warning - kids don't come with an instruction manual.

Mine did...

Vieve

« Reply #52 on: 16 Jul 2010, 00:30 »

Small warning - kids don't come with an instruction manual.

Mine did...

That was the only baby book I found useful.

Mebrithiel

• My main is my falcon alt ♥
  • Egger
  • A wild Meb approaches!
    • Blood Inquisition
« Reply #53 on: 16 Jul 2010, 05:00 »

I seem to be really good with kids. My mates 4 year old boy is incredibly intelligent and we get on awesomely. I often have to go round just to stop him driving his mum up the wall, but it's usually his 18mnth sister who does the driving.

Then there's my ex-gf's lovely son. He's 3.5yrs now but he acts like a stroppy rock teenager already  :lol:

I know I'll eventually have kids, but I've got a while before I consider myself responsible enough. I can barely look after myself atm  :(

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #54 on: 15 Aug 2010, 07:28 »

Just had my first, a boy. He came a little early. Like 10 weeks early.

Such a hectic time at the moment getting used to stuff. I might get my breath back eventually.

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #55 on: 15 Aug 2010, 08:56 »

Just had my first, a boy. He came a little early. Like 10 weeks early.

Such a hectic time at the moment getting used to stuff. I might get my breath back eventually.

I wish you the best of luck.  I know just worrying about baby being early is scary (I almost had Lisa at 32 weeks - but was but on medication to make her wait) and a new baby is definitely a new and busy time.  Enjoy your boy - being a parent is a wonderful thing.

Random fyi -- babies love swimming, I recommend making the most of bathtime.  Now that Lisa can sit up, I put her in a swim toy and take her swimming at the pool quite often.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #56 on: 16 Aug 2010, 09:51 »

Funny that you mention that. We're at a waterpark resort (Great Wolf Lodge) right now with my little ones.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #57 on: 28 Aug 2010, 22:24 »

I used to work in summer camps and day cares for a good four years, so I can understand how children can nag, annoy, and fight with others so much that you want to beat them mercilessly. However, one must understand that their brains are not fully developed. When I see people in their thirties and forties commenting on how ten year old boys should go to federal prison for killing someone, I feel ashamed. How one could let emotions take them over and feel that punishment for someone who is obviously mentally unstable involves a prison for adults.

But I digress. I love children; some days I don't like their attitudes, but we were all children once. I enjoy seeing a child grow from infancy to adulthood, such a learning experience that can easily be altered.

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #58 on: 31 Aug 2010, 14:49 »

Children literally lack the ability to understand things outside their "bubble" and struggle with a period of time past maybe next week for older kids.  It is very common for children to not understand concepts like "death" as I have had little kids say, "Grandpa died - everyone cried" and then come to me a week later and ask, "When's Grandpa coming to pick me up from school?"

Yes the children who get in trouble need consequences for their actions, but dang... counseling and maybe juevenlle hall if they are likely to reoffend.  However depending on the child's age - I personally would not have a hard time pointing a finger at the parent and saying WTF to them.  There are reasons to lose your child...

Of course if anyone ever came between me and my baby...

Speaking of such - she has started the "Dada" babble... I am very jealously waiting for Mama or Papa... poor Havo - he was hoping for Papa sooo much.

Havvie

• Clonejack
  • Knowing me, does this really surprise you?
« Reply #59 on: 31 Aug 2010, 18:42 »

Don't get me wrong, I think kids are adorable, and I'm glad there are people who are at least *trying* to raise them properly but I'm not sure I could stand having a kid of my own. I've no problem with having to change a diaper or cleaning up puke; my problem is those high-pitched shrieks that cause me to literally cringe in pain whenever I hear one. And it's that these parents seemingly have no problem with inflicting these ear-splitting noises on other people (read: me) that also get on my nerves. C'mon people, we (I) don't want to hear your little two year-old child shriek loud enough to shatter ear drums, so please PLEASE find some way to not bring them in public with you.

... Reason #25 Havvie does not like having to go out in public. [/Havvierant]
DISCLAIMER: Any or all of the statements made by this individual may consist of conjecture, manipulative paraphrase, or outright bullshit.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7