Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers resurfaced in YC106 to protest the monopoly then held by the empires on deadspace warp beacon technology.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Everyone was born in Caille! /o\  (Read 5513 times)

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
Re: Everyone was born in Caille! /o\
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2011, 12:50 »

Andreus comes from a Gallente-style metropolis on Intaki Prime whose name I pinched from d20 Dark*Matter (Calluya). He has very little connection to the place because his father is a jerk. If it gets blown up he won't care all that much about the city, just about the principle of someone attacking his homeworld.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2011, 13:00 »

I agree with Mammal that once more information is out there, you'll see people come up with some different ideas. Amongst the Intaki RPers that I interact with, we saw something similar when we released our sketches of the Intaki colonies — i.e. people started having their characters be from Sajha and Ud'har.

Another thing to consider: MANY people tell me they are afraid to get creative with their back stories because of negative reactions from the bittervets.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #17 on: 15 Jun 2011, 13:09 »

Another thing to consider: MANY people tell me they are afraid to get creative with their back stories because of negative reactions from the bittervets.

This is very true. Every time somebody tries something different and gets the IC reaction of "you're lying and this is all a sham", they have a high probability of shrugging and walking away. If instead the OOC reaction consists of "that's an interesting approach, and you might consider these other PF factors", then they'll feel much more encouraged and we'll have more interesting stuff to play with.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jun 2011, 13:13 »

Borza is the secret lovechild of Jamyl and a Rogue Drone meatpuppet via timetravel. But was born on Caille.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2011, 13:15 by Borza »

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #19 on: 15 Jun 2011, 13:14 »

As all my planetary pictures are on my laptop which is in extended repair, I might as well post what I have done so far (can't take new pictures as the light layers are broken on planets)...

Here you go. Pick one!

And don't edit it without talking to me first, please ._.

Dude, what?  Did I scar you for life when I edited the Mies entry?

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jun 2011, 13:37 »

This is partially why I stayed the heck away from Intaki or Amarr vs. Republic story spaces once I started RPing in game. Partially.  I wasn't afraid to get creative with my back story.  I'd just didn't want to put a foot wrong in someone else's sandcastle.

Mebrithiel

• My main is my falcon alt ♥
  • Egger
  • A wild Meb approaches!
    • Blood Inquisition
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jun 2011, 13:46 »

I just picked my fav system with my fave lvl1 thukker agent from when I started. It was originally Leurtmar IX but that became a gas planet, so now it's Leurtmar III ^_^

Was tempted to chose Mabnen I tho haha

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jun 2011, 14:08 »

Borza is the secret lovechild of Jamyl and a Rogue Drone meatpuppet via timetravel. But was born on Caille.

Now THAT is a Gallentean backstory.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Crucifire

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jun 2011, 14:11 »

Case in point. He knew from the start he would have many enemies but was met with such OOC negativity (which can be communicated IC, i.e. "you're a liar") that he felt it wasn't worthwhile to proceed, which I think is a damn shame. I would really like to see more diversity like this but apparently it harms some peoples' view of a wholesome New Eden.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #24 on: 15 Jun 2011, 14:20 »

Crucifire, I agree completely with you on this point. Some IC reactions appear as obvious covers for OOC reactions, and this just discourages people.

So in the case of the OP here: what's the problem if a lot of pilots come from Caille? Maybe roll with that IC: "something about the culture there encourages people to do this" or "perhaps environmental factors have led to a high concentration of people with the appropriate genes", or something.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #25 on: 15 Jun 2011, 14:39 »

As was discussed briefly in-game, actually, most Achur come from Saisio, lots of Amarr from Amarr...

There is no accessible locales in EVE beyond the homeworlds. Listing off the top of my head we've got...Caille, Hueromont, Lenoika, Dam-Torsad...er...that's the only cities available.

Yeah, if I was completely new to EVE, I wouldn't dare make up my own place either.

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #26 on: 15 Jun 2011, 14:45 »

"perhaps environmental factors have led to a high concentration of people with the appropriate genes"
A Jovian did it.

We once had a corpie who was found in a cardboard box under a pool table in a mining colony's pub. I laughed.
Will work for pretty sig.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #27 on: 15 Jun 2011, 14:49 »

It seems easier to just do what Casi suggested and go "huh, strange; must be the high populations and / or cultural and environmental impacts". It's hardly as if a bias towards the home worlds of various characters affects much -- especially when I've not found said bias to be particularly strong. There are a few more, but that's all I've seen, admittedly just from the folks I've noticed who have it public.

As for why, then in my particular case the thought process for having Kyber originate from Dam-Torsad boiled down to not wanting to fiddle about too much with a universe I was largely unfamiliar with; three decades gives plenty of room to fiddle about with further detail, other locations he may have spent time, and so on, when I'd gotten the general feel of the game, and frankly I just wanted to get started and see what it was like. No point getting bogged down in backstory when simple, feasible solutions exist, IMO.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #28 on: 15 Jun 2011, 14:58 »

So in the case of the OP here: what's the problem if a lot of pilots come from Caille? Maybe roll with that IC: "something about the culture there encourages people to do this"
I'd say this is more likely, perhaps cultural or educational factors making pod pilots from Caille less likely to suffer from capsuleer dementia.

"perhaps environmental factors have led to a high concentration of people with the appropriate genes", or something.
No reason to think that. Where RPers' characters are from isn't a representative sample of where capsuleers are from.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 15 Jun 2011, 15:22 »

I was born in a station, does that count?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4