Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kyoko Sakoda interned with Omerta Syndicate? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ANN, Rebooting, Etcetera  (Read 5256 times)

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
ANN, Rebooting, Etcetera
« on: 15 Nov 2011, 12:39 »

Finally decided to bite the bullet and go for this:

ANN has now been quiet for six or seven months. Whilst I'd love to see it running and active again, I simply don't have the time to write for or manage it full-time right now.

Previously we had one or two 'hired' writers who weren't entirely regular, and a plethora of volunteer submissions which showed up here and there. This worked well enough, but the volunteers trailed off as ANN turned into a drama generator. This was partially my fault, and I apologise to those involved at the time.

What I'm looking for is someone (or a group of people) to take charge of the site and get it running again, hopefully avoiding our previous mistakes. I'm quite happy to renew and maintain the domain and hosting (currently expires March 7th, 2012) if things improve, as well as providing funding in the form of ISK, prizes etcetera if things get back on track and stay there.

If anyone's got any suggestions (or wants to have a crack at running the thing) get in touch with me via PM, EVEmail or just post here.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: ANN, Rebooting, Etcetera
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2011, 12:56 »

A suggestion:

Run the ANN much like Much Raker (who is a fantastic character), and post small news items directly to the IGS instead of a dedicated website? People could submit stories to you still, and just post them all from the same character to IGS?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2011, 13:06 »

A suggestion:

Run the ANN much like Much Raker (who is a fantastic character), and post small news items directly to the IGS instead of a dedicated website? People could submit stories to you still, and just post them all from the same character to IGS?

Would flood the IGS with topics that will come to irritate people. Weekly highlight stories might be a better idea, where a particularly note worthy story is posted for attention grabbing / advertising.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2011, 13:08 »

While I hardly have the time or talent for running ANN I'd like to help.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2011, 13:15 »

A suggestion:

Would flood the IGS with topics that will come to irritate people. Weekly highlight stories might be a better idea, where a particularly note worthy story is posted for attention grabbing / advertising.

Do you feel MuckRaker posts too frequently? I feel like it's about-right, with small/short snippets.

Ghost Hunter

• The Mods
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2011, 13:20 »

A suggestion:

Do you feel MuckRaker posts too frequently? I feel like it's about-right, with small/short snippets.

MuckRaker's rate seems to be fine. I find it distasteful for an organization to host more than two threads a week. Perhaps I jumped the gun on assuming submitted stories wouldn't be given a small processing period before posting, though.
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2011, 13:23 »

No, that's a good point. I feel like content would come much slower for ANN though, as it might be more 'serious' and less of a scandal paper

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2011, 13:38 »

Just submitting the occasional article, interest or otherwise is great. One of the bigger issues before was the lack of submissions from outside sources.

We did actually run a thread before, linking to major/well written articles before. It became clogged with drama though. I like the Idea of weekly 'highlights' on the IGS summing things up though.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2011, 13:53 »

I could see Hamish posting anti provist articles under various pseudonyms.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2011, 19:24 »

I'd be happy to post some stuff.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Tiberius Wenchel

• Media Mogul
  • Clonejack
  • soi soi soi
    • Redshift Media on Youtube
« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2011, 22:10 »

As it's looking like I'll be backish, I may be able to submit some stuff. I can't guarantee any kind of steady output due to my current academic workload, but I wouldn't mind the occasional opportunity to write something that doesn't involve grueling library research.

Once the media projects I'm currently juggling are wrapped up, I may even decide to poop out a vidya or two. We'll have to wait and see on that front. I have this bad tendency to bite off more than I can reasonably chew.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2011, 22:14 »

I could see Hamish posting anti provist articles under various pseudonyms.

Do it

Ghost Hunter

• The Mods
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2011, 23:15 »

Just submitting the occasional article, interest or otherwise is great. One of the bigger issues before was the lack of submissions from outside sources.

We did actually run a thread before, linking to major/well written articles before. It became clogged with drama though. I like the Idea of weekly 'highlights' on the IGS summing things up though.

As long as you are dumping the news article and not actively partaking in the commentary, drama blame cannot be placed on you. Recycling every so often into a new thread with a new article also helps prevent accumulative shit post stacking in one central thread.

As far as external submissions go, it'll be hit or miss. Quality control is a big thing, peoples' writing styles vary greatly. How much work you have to do on your end, versus how much of a person's original work material is left, will affect the relationship.
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2011, 03:21 »

One MuckRaker is engouth.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2011, 04:22 »

As long as you are dumping the news article and not actively partaking in the commentary, drama blame cannot be placed on you. Recycling every so often into a new thread with a new article also helps prevent accumulative shit post stacking in one central thread.

That would be the plan. Don't really want a repeat of last time.

As far as external submissions go, it'll be hit or miss. Quality control is a big thing, peoples' writing styles vary greatly. How much work you have to do on your end, versus how much of a person's original work material is left, will affect the relationship.

The vast majority of Freelance stuff that came through last time was excellent, and only required minor tweaking (Spelling, occasionally grammar) as well as verification of sources. I don't really feel comfortable twiddling with original material past correcting things, so if there's something I'm not happy about, I'll usually send it back to the author with a query or something.
Pages: [1] 2